Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: Great Deals  (Read 6429 times)

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
Great Deals
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
We had a thread at our former home about what deals were available in various stores. I don't see why we shouldn't have it here too.

Looks like it's the Co-op's turn for the cheap water melons this week (from Friday 5th June) @ $4.44.

Plenty of Ice Cream offers at all stores.

Sobeys have Hot Stuffs on BOGOF, so just over $3 for two packs. Good for school lunches (not much school left now) but good snacks too.
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

cautiouslizard

Re: Great Deals
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »
Each time my dad comes down and we go to Cosco, I am always amazed by the deals you can get. We bought some ground hamburg for the same price I would usually buy it at sobey's or super store but got double the amount. Same goes for mushrooms. Also bought strawberries for 4$ and again the pgk is double the size you get at any other store. It's worth the membership fee for the amount of saving you end up with at the end of the year.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »
Not being a driver, Costco is a bit difficult for me. I do wonder if it could still be worth it paying the fee and getting a cab back, but recently Superstore has started to promote "club packs" comparing the price to what's in Costco, suggesting you can pay the same prices without the membership fee.

Obviously it's not going to be the full range, but what I did notice was the prices of these things weren't actually less than I pay anyway.

I've got so used to shopping by flyer that I find I rarely pay the "normal" price for much anyway.

Maybe one week in four there is something we'd like that we don't actually have, but the knowledge that last week it was at least a third off this week's price and it will be again next week usually means we'll wait or we'll make do with an alternative that is on offer this week.

For example, our favourite Ice Cream is Chapmans. It's usually around the $6 which is silly but almost every other week it's available for $3 somewhere.

However, almost every week one of the other brands is the same $3 somewhere. Rarely is no Ice Cream on offer. When that happens, the Sobeys/Compliments brand is only a bit more or we could buy the No Name brand at Superstore in the 4 litre size and it works out even less...just not that good a selection.

But then we're just as likely to be buying water melon from whichever store has them at $3 off and having that instead.

I buy much of the stuff that's on offer by bike. It's surprising how much I can carry. I do need to make a couple of trips a week...sometimes 3...but I do have the advantage of free time.

Prices have certainly risen over the last year but I still find I spend around $70 for every $100 of normal prices with the aid of the flyers.

Like I say, I do have plenty of free time, but I find that while I might take in two stores instead of one, the time isn't hugely different. Just 30 minutes in each of two stores instead of 45 in one. And the stores are so close together that it's only a few minutes detour as well.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
Why not find a Cosco member and go there with him or even meet him there? There are members who sometimes complain they don't get their money's worth with their memberships. Some will allow you to buy things on their card just to feal better. Shhhhhhhhhh, I did not say that.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

cautiouslizard

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
See that's what my dad does, but I do not buy anything, he just buys everything for me lol. Cosco is worth it if you use it. I shop at both superstore and sobey's (Cosco only when my dad comes down) and to even say that superstore offers the same price as Cosco is absurd. I seen that sale go up a few weeks ago and I have been to Cosco twice. Both times I was able to compaire the price difference. As I said, they try to pretend they meet Cosco's price but you ain't going to get the amount of hamburg I got for the price I got it. The last time I bought hamburg at superstore, I paid almost 10$ and didn't get half of what I got this time at Cosco. It just depends on if you have the room and if you need more than just a little bit to past the week. I like buying in bulk but only the stuff I use alot (Like garlic, onions, patatos which were 7.99$ for 20lbs and at superstore it's 5.99$ for 10lbs)

cautiouslizard

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:18:23 AM »
Haha yeah really, I just shop where I end up I guess. If I'm by the superstore, I'll shop there. If I leave my house to shop I go to sobey's cause it's closer lol. But I only go to Cosco when Dad is here without mom (cause I end up getting a fridge full when she's not around lol)

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »
Hmmmmm, next time I see CL's dad at the market I'll spread the word to a few people. We can all chip in and buy a cupcake and a candle, show up at CL's place around suppertime, and yell "Happy Birthday". So what if we're a couple of years early. Then we all stay for dinner and leave a few days later when the cupbords and freezer get empty. Shhhhh, don't say anything or you'll ruin the surprise.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:14:48 PM »
I seen that sale go up a few weeks ago and I have been to Cosco twice. Both times I was able to compaire the price difference. As I said, they try to pretend they meet Cosco's price but you ain't going to get the amount of hamburg I got for the price I got it.

I like buying in bulk but only the stuff I use alot (Like garlic, onions, patatos which were 7.99$ for 20lbs and at superstore it's 5.99$ for 10lbs)

What would be good would be if Costco's prices were listed somewhere. I said earlier that Superstore advertised some comparisons but that it wouldn't be the full range of goods where Superstore's prices could look good. There will be other things that Superstore can't match. Spuds and hamburg for example as CL says.

But I'm a short walk from Rinzlers where spuds are usually $2.99/$3.99 for 10 lbs and cheaper if you buy the 20lb or 50lb bags. Not that I can carry the bigger ones. lol. I get my bulk onions there too.

I stock up each month on Campbells Cream of Mushroom when one of the stores (including Lawtons or Shoppers) has them for 50c or less.

When Rinzlers does their chicken portions for $1.19 a lb, I stock up on those.

Michelinas, Hot Stuffs etc...they all help for school lunches and I get them when they're on offer @ 99c (Michelinas) & $1.50 (2 Hot stuffs).

Shoppers...also a few minutes away has as many ice cream offers as the main stores. I stock up there when it's $2.99 for 2 litres or $3.49 for the more expensive double churned stuff (usually $7 in Sobeys and Superstore).

By the time I've done all this I can imagine going to Costco and not actually needing much. :(

Does Costco have a good selection of fresh fruit and veg? How much is Ice Cream and Ground Beef? Milk?

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »
I was at Walmart (plaza) earlier and I noticed some black jeans (men's) for $9.
They all seemed to be sizes around 30, 32 and 34.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
I can get you a good deal on a can of cream of mushroom soup if you want.....free. I'm not too crazy about the stuff.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:36:46 PM »
Very kind but I have a shelf full in the cupboard at the mo.  :)

It's so versatile. We don't actually use it as soup.

cautiouslizard

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »
cherries seems to be the fruit sale of the week at super store and sobey's 2.99$/lbs

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 01:55:58 PM »
cherries seems to be the fruit sale of the week at super store and sobey's 2.99$/lbs

Yep...I got some yesterday. $11.

Imagine if they'd been normal price. :o

Redfox

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 01:56:44 PM »
We got some too, so good. :)

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »
Superstore until Thursday....chickens $1.49 lb.

First time I've seen whole chickens for under $4.

Not huge but I have seen this size for $8 before.

I kind of regret only buying two but I already have three others in the freezer.

Offline Elvira

• Regs
  • Greater Moncton's #1 Forum is www.monctonforums.com
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »
Superstore until Thursday....chickens $1.49 lb.

First time I've seen whole chickens for under $4.

Not huge but I have seen this size for $8 before.

I kind of regret only buying two but I already have three others in the freezer.

Wow. Great information. Thanks. I have to bike down and grab some.

Never say "Bite Me " unless you mean it darlin

Offline Elvira

• Regs
  • Greater Moncton's #1 Forum is www.monctonforums.com
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »
It's a bike. That's all I know and has those thingys on the handles.Gears I believe and it sure took a while to figure them out.
Never say "Bite Me " unless you mean it darlin

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 09:17:52 PM »
Forgot to mention Cherries. The three main stores have all had them for $2.99 lb recently but up to and incl Thursday they are $2.47 at Superstore.

That's less than half normal price.

Offline Flutterby

• Regs
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »
Forgot to mention Cherries. The three main stores have all had them for $2.99 lb recently but up to and incl Thursday they are $2.47 at Superstore.

That's less than half normal price.

You must like cherries, you always know where the deals for those are. ;)

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 09:27:27 PM »
We get the flyers with the T&T.

I just do targeted shopping and regularly save around $35 in every hundred.

Not all on cherries.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
We cooked up one pile of food at collective kitchen today. Mrs W and myself each had dinner and supper for a $10.00 cost and still both have enough more to eat for another two or three days each.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
Breaded Pollock
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
Rinzlers has breaded pollock. Normally a good deal @ $1.99 lb but today I was there and they are 99c lb instead.

They have big bags for just over $4...the sort of bags that are $10 at Co-Op.

And still plenty of 10lb bags of apples for $4.99

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
Pretty sure it's 7pm on weekdays.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
Re: Breaded Pollock
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
Rinzlers has breaded pollock.
Sounds like Mike Stivic eating a sandwhich.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 03:17:27 PM »
Looks like Cherries week again.
$2.49 lb at Co-Op.

$2.47 at Sobeys where you can also get Ben's English Muffins for 99c for six.

Superstore has the large water melons again @ $3.97, Old Mill Bagels for 99c for six and Campbells Mush/tom soups for 59c.

Fri 10 July through Thurs 16th.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
Turkey
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »
Wow...no posts for 5 months.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Superstore.

Frozen, stuffed Butterball Turkey.

The Flyer originally listed them for these three days @ $1.97 a lb and that's a pretty good price. There was also a $3 coupon.

But yesterday's T&T says the price is now $1.39 a lb for the three days.

No idea how big they are, but a 10lb bird is going to be $9 cheaper than the already decent $1.97lb price.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
2l pepsi/coke @ 87c (less than half price) at Superstore until Thursday.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 11:45:47 PM »
It should include Sprite and 7Up too.

I shall get some to go with my xmas whisky.  :)

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »
Mysterious English Muffins for 88c a pack at Superstore.

Bog Rolls (April Soft) - 32 pack @ $4.

10lb bag of spuds @ $2

Worth keeping an eye on Dominos for offers. 2 Mediums with 3 toppings and a cheese bread for $20...make it two large for $25. We had it last night. Really good value.

Unfortunately today is the last day for that deal but I'm sure they'll have something else worth looking at.

Offline irishrick

• Regs
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »
what is so mysterious about their English Muffins...