Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: NB Provincial Elections on Sept.27, 2010  (Read 11114 times)

Offline Paladin (Site Admin)

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
NB Provincial Elections on Sept.27, 2010
« on: July 30, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »

It's less than 2 months to the NB Provincial Elections on Sept.27, 2010

Open discussions on what's on your mind.

Any and all NB Politicians invited on here to have their say.

Who do you think will win?

Who would you like to win?

Vote for this Party because...

Vote for Me because....( for Politicians )

They promised you this but didn't deliver...

Vote for us and we will....

etc    etc.....etc......

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
Re: NB Provincial Elections on Sept.27, 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »
Soft-tissue injury cap pushed as election issue

August 12th, 2010

Victims say $2,500 isn't enough;

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/1172862

During the 2003 provincial election campaign, auto insurance rates emerged among voters as a flashpoint issue following a dramatic spike in premiums.

The cap was introduced by then-premier Bernard Lord's Progressive Conservative government with support from the Shawn Graham opposition Liberals as a way to get premium rates down.

It worked. New Brunswick auto insurance premiums have decreased by 35 per cent since the cap's implementation.

Consumers for Insurance Fairness said it's unjust that the cap applies to people who suffer chronic pain, had bones broken or went into a coma.

Both the Liberals and Progressive Conservatives have indicated they're interested in addressing the $2,500 cap.

Premier Shawn Graham says the Liberals have nothing immediate to announce in terms of any cap changes.

Graham says he wants to look at what other jurisdictions are doing. Nova Scotia's New Democratic Party government recently announced they'd push their soft-tissue injury cap up to $7,500.

"We want to see if that has an impact on the rates New Brunswickers would pay for their insurance," says Graham. "That continues to be the number one concern of government, keeping insurance premiums affordable for all New Brunswickers.

"If there's a minimal impact it's something we could potentially look at. We have to do the due diligence first."

The Progressive Conservatives say they'd increase the cap rate if elected in this fall's election, but they don't know by how much.

"The specific amount of how much will be based on a three-month review upon taking office," says Tory MLA Jody Carr. "We want to be responsible rather than just pull a number out of a hat. We want to make sure it's a responsible cap so we don't see an increase in rates."

Carr says the timing is right for a review seven years after the cap was first introduced and also in the wake of Nova Scotia's move.

Bill Adams, vice-president of the Insurance Board of Canada's Atlantic division, says  "The reality is that this is a competitive industry. That's the beauty of a competitive industry. There are 67 insurance companies selling auto insurance in New Brunswick."

Adams says auto accident benefits still apply up to $50,000 for medical and rehabilitation payments, regardless of the cap.

He said more than half of all New Brunswickers don't realize that the $2,500 cap is only for pain and suffering associated with minor injuries.

"The reality is you still get up to $50,000 in medical and rehabilitation payments, so all the physiotherapy and tests and chiropractic you need to heal, you get. It's rare that people exhaust that.

"The reality is they can get the medical treatments that they need in order to get well. What they're not getting is an unlimited payout.

"For them, they may say this is worth more than $2,500, and I'm not going to argue that with anyone going through pain."

He said the cap doesn't apply to compensation for lost wages, medical and economic losses.

He said other costs can be applied to a court action.

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »
car insurance going up ?   

no one there is worth voting for!
what to do ? WHAT TO DO? 

BIGOTRY
   a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 08:38:25 PM »
both of those work hand in hand ........

for example if one looses they change to the winning party   
so we cannot win

it is a loosing proposition for voters   we might as well  say ok   you stay on because one way or the other you will be ?

BIGOTRY
   a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

Offline Canadian Crime News

• Global Moderator
  • www.monctonforums.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »

Nova Scotia willingly gives out its crime statistics, too bad New Brunswick won't do the same.

Moncton's Codiac RCMP only lets out stats and releases when it suits THEIR purpose.

The Chronicle Herald, Halifax, Nova Scotia
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1196260.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:21:28 PM by Canadian Crime News »

News ... you can use..

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 02:39:41 PM »
Moncton's Codiac RCMP only lets out stats and releases when it suits THEIR purpose.

Any proof of that?

I ask because the figures on statscan do match the periods for the rest of Canada, so I'm guessing they make the stats available the same time everyone else does.

Perhaps other forces produce some at earlier times because it suits them  :angel:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 02:50:03 PM by BristolUK »
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
Any proof of that?

I ask because the figures on statscan do match the periods for the rest of Canada, so I'm guessing they make the stats available the same time everyone else does.

Perhaps other forces produce some at earlier times because it suits them  :angel:

They refused to provide any stats or information when I phoned the Detachment personally. " Not our practice to release such information", I was told.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 04:04:25 PM »
They refused to provide any stats or information when I phoned the Detachment personally. " Not our practice to release such information", I was told.

And is it the practice of all the others to release information to anyone who calls or would they be referred to the usual sources of such info?

I would hope they'd have better things to do than compile stats outwith the normal procedures.

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
And is it the practice of all the others to release information to anyone who calls or would they be referred to the usual sources of such info?

I would hope they'd have better things to do than compile stats outwith the normal procedures.

The Stats like those above from Halifax,are automatically compiled by the computers, all that is needed is someone to press 'display' , 'print' or 'send'.

Reports like that would also go a long way to silence people like notme, who claim that nothing is being done.

The Times & Transcript no longer publishes a 'Crime Beat' report like it used to with the MPD, because that information is no longer available to THEM also.

As I have stated before, the Saint John Telegraph-Journal and the Saint John Police Dept. are a model of co-operation between the two of them. 

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
Yes, I remember when the T&T did a crime beat sort of thing.

I don't recall if it was about the crimes comitted or if it was the reports of people up before the beak. I vaguely recall it was the actual crimes reported but I'm not sure now. The memory fades dontcha know.  :-\

If the T&T is left outside the loop that the TJ is in has the T&T ever complained or run an item on it?

The Irvings own both papers don't they?