Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: NB Provincial Elections on Sept.27, 2010  (Read 11133 times)

Offline Paladin (Site Admin)

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
Re: NB Provincial Elections on Sept.27, 2010
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »

Promises Promises

Liberals to pledge to add extra nursing home beds

August 26th, 2010
benjamin shingler
telegraph-journal

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1191357

FREDERICTON - Liberal Leader Shawn Graham is expected to launch his bid for re-election today with a focus on improving long-term care for seniors.

In his first major announcement since the writ dropped for the Sept. 27 election, Graham will pledge this afternoon to create 550 more advanced-care nursing home beds.

The beds will be in addition to a plan already underway to create 700 new nursing home beds by 2016.

Graham will also promise to improve training for home-care workers, exempt renovations of residences from property tax increases when work is performed to accommodate a family member eligible for long-term care, and partner with the New Brunswick Health Council to develop a long-term care strategy.

The additional beds are designed to address the growing number of seniors waiting in hospitals, a chronic problem that has put added strain on the province's health-care system.

In the Horizon Health Network, for instance, 28 per cent of hospital beds in 2009-2010 were occupied by people waiting for a nursing home bed.

Based on current projections, at the current rate, by 2015 nearly half the hospital beds in the province will be filled with seniors waiting to move to a different facility.

Under the plan introduced by the Liberal government, the total investment in nursing home infrastructure in New Brunswick will reach $400 million during the next five years. Eleven nursing homes are being replaced with new facilities, and two other new nursing homes will be built in Neguac and Dieppe. Five nursing homes will undergo major additions; 33 will undergo extensive repairs, and nine will receive minor repairs.

All new facilities are expected to be completed by 2016-17.

A total of 297 new beds would be created across the province. This would be in addition to the 403 new beds already created since 2006.

Further details of the new commitments to long-term care are expected to be announced by Graham .

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »

People's Alliance of New Brunswick

The New Kid on the Block

http://www.panb.org/

PANB PLATFORM: Democratic Accountability – The MLAs and their constituents.

In the last number of years, the people of New Brunswick have witnessed many examples of the decline of our democratic institutions and ideals. Your MLAs have behaved with excessive self-interest, such as the manner in which they raised their own compensation packages, and with disregard to the interests of their Constituents, such as the NB Power sell off and dealing with punitive property tax increases. It is obvious that our democracy needs reform to return control to the Citizens of this province.

Carl Bainbridge For MLA Moncton North PANB

Carl Bainbridge

[email protected]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carl-Bainbridge-For-MLA-Moncton-North-PANB/151253164891939

http://www.carlbainbridge.ca/2010/06/review-of-last-couple-days.html

http://www.blogger.com/profile/16042964155933448813

Mission Statement
Democratic Revolution was started in the middle of the NB Power fiasco to give people an alternative voice.

When I looked around at the various parties weighing their positions and the viability of their chances in the next election I realized that each party presently out there had a problem.

Liberals caused this and other messes in the past and were not likely to hold much power after the next election if there was the least element of a viable alternative.

Those alternatives prior to the start of the Democratic Revolution were:

Conservatives - The issues that caused the most problems there were simple. They started this mess when they prepared to sell off pieces of NB Power during the previous government. David Alward was not showing himself to be a strong leader, and it is believed by many that the titles conservative and liberal are generallyinterchangeablein this province.

NDP have a very loyal following. However they are linked to strong union ties, which alienates a large number of voters. Also there is the perception, however wrong, that they will disagree with any piece of legislation put before the legislature simply for the sake of disagreeing. The appearance of not being able to compromise on anything less than what they want, whether true or not, does damage their appeal.

Greens are considered to be connected to eco-fanatics and solely a one issue party. This may have been true at the outset. However, this party has grown over the years to the point that they have an acceptable platform Nevertheless they still must shake the old opinions. They also have not had the opportunity to have a truly charismatic leader to bring them the visibility they need.

This comparison led me to believe that we had minimal options during the next election. We were faced with hoping that the greens or NDP could change the perception of the masses, or we had to worry that we could even get another liberal win if the province did not warm to Alward.

The aim of the Democratic Revolution is two fold:

Give the people of New Brunswick an option that does not come with a background of certain behaviours or beliefs.

Develop a party whose sole aim is to return to the people of New Brunswick a more full and complete democracy than we have enjoyed in the past.

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »

Just one of the many reasons why the province of New Brunswick has no money for the things that are important to its residents...

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1194126

The Liberals and Progressive Conservatives voted unanimously in 2008 to increase MLAs' salaries from $45,347 to $85,000, nearly $30,000 more than the median family income.

They also voted to increase pensions to $30,000 a year after eight years of service, up from $16,500 and to $76,000 annually after 20 years, up from $41,000.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 06:30:14 PM »
And it was kept quiet wasn't it? I seem to recall it was in a thread here and I said something about how come it wasn't picked up on by any reporters. ???
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »
And it was kept quiet wasn't it? I seem to recall it was in a thread here and I said something about how come it wasn't picked up on by any reporters. ???

I'd do my best to keep it quiet to if I was one of them making THAT much  lol

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »

Why vote NDP?

Roger Duguay and the New Democratic Party are building an alternative to Liberal and Conservative incompetence. Our party is under new management.

Roger Duguay has a team of experienced New Brunswickers who have worked in politics across Canada and around the world. We are businesspeople, workers, community volunteers: people like you, who share your values.

We are a party of middle class New Brunswick families. We are not afraid to confront our province’s problems. We are optimistic about our future but we know we have to be realistic.

We are a moderate, pragmatic party, committed to giving everyone an equal chance to do well in life. We will reward hard work and persistence, and make sure New Brunswick families have the tools they need to succeed.

That means good schools, good healthcare, safe communities and roads and other public infrastructure that work for you, the people who pay for them.

We need an honest conversation about what government can do, and what it can’t. We are tired of governments that promise and spend without making life better for our families. The Liberals and Conservatives have broken too many promises. They have had their chance, it is time for something new.

The NDP is under new management and we’re working hard for only one reason.

We want to put New Brunswick under new management: Your management.

If that is what you want, join us and get involved.

Your party, your province, your NDP.

NDP Candidates
http://nbndp.ca/node/285

Moncton Crescent   Cyprien Okana

Moncton East   Teresa Sullivan

Moncton North   Jean Guimond

Moncton West   Shawna Gagne

NDP vow 'modest' campaign

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1194456

NDP Leader Roger Duguay said " any spending commitments we make in this election will be modest, and they will be balanced out by savings elsewhere."

"Unlike the Liberals and Progressive Conservatives, we are going to talk openly and honestly about what government spending we would cut to reduce the deficit and make room in the budget for our modest spending proposals. We have specific proposals to cut waste, but we will not be cutting front-line services like health care and education."

The NDP are rebuilding their support base this fall after seeing it collapse completely in a disastrous provincial campaign four years ago.

Prior to that, the NDP had one MLA in the legislature for 14 years - Elizabeth Weir - who was always more popular than her party.

Duguay said what he's hoping for is a minority government with the NDP holding the balance of power.

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »

More

Key issues expected to be debated during the campaign:

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1191347

Economy: Liberals are promising to create 20,000 new jobs by cutting taxes to stir investment and focusing on energy projects. The Conservatives say they won't raise taxes.

Energy:
Since deal to sell NB Power to Hydro-Québec was scrapped, the Liberal government has been working with Nova Scotia to bolster the regional energy grid. Conservatives improving the province's transmission system and promised a rate freeze until March 31, 2013, as they formulate the direction they would take in government Debt and deficits: The debt is forecast to hit $9.5 billion next year. The deficit for the fiscal year that ended on March 31 was almost $738 million.

"Let me say it loud and clear right now: NB Power is not for sale."Progressive Conservative Leader David Alward said on Aug.27,2010
http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1192755

Property Taxes:
There have been complaints that property taxes around the province are increasing too quickly. The Liberals are promising to freeze property assessments for two years and Conservatives have promised to cap property tax increases at three per cent while a better solution is sought.

Nuclear:
Delays and cost overruns in the refurbishment of the Point Lepreau nuclear power plant could reach $1 billion.

====================================================================================================================================================================
A youngster asks her father if all fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time..." He answers,  "No. Some of the them begin with, 'If elected, I promise to..." "

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
I'd do my best to keep it quiet to if I was one of them making THAT much  lol
But what did they offer the political reporters so as not to write it up for a Pulitzer Prize?  :laugh:

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »
because we have no more freedom of speech and press is controlled because of it

BIGOTRY
   a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »
because we have no more freedom of speech and press is controlled because of it

I see.

So how did it find its way into the papers? By mistake? :laugh: