blocked
Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: NB Provincial Elections  (Read 12458 times)

Offline Paladin (Site Admin)

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
Re: NB Provincial Elections on Sept.27, 2010
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »

Promises Promises

Liberals to pledge to add extra nursing home beds

August 26th, 2010
benjamin shingler
telegraph-journal

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1191357

FREDERICTON - Liberal Leader Shawn Graham is expected to launch his bid for re-election today with a focus on improving long-term care for seniors.

In his first major announcement since the writ dropped for the Sept. 27 election, Graham will pledge this afternoon to create 550 more advanced-care nursing home beds.

The beds will be in addition to a plan already underway to create 700 new nursing home beds by 2016.

Graham will also promise to improve training for home-care workers, exempt renovations of residences from property tax increases when work is performed to accommodate a family member eligible for long-term care, and partner with the New Brunswick Health Council to develop a long-term care strategy.

The additional beds are designed to address the growing number of seniors waiting in hospitals, a chronic problem that has put added strain on the province's health-care system.

In the Horizon Health Network, for instance, 28 per cent of hospital beds in 2009-2010 were occupied by people waiting for a nursing home bed.

Based on current projections, at the current rate, by 2015 nearly half the hospital beds in the province will be filled with seniors waiting to move to a different facility.

Under the plan introduced by the Liberal government, the total investment in nursing home infrastructure in New Brunswick will reach $400 million during the next five years. Eleven nursing homes are being replaced with new facilities, and two other new nursing homes will be built in Neguac and Dieppe. Five nursing homes will undergo major additions; 33 will undergo extensive repairs, and nine will receive minor repairs.

All new facilities are expected to be completed by 2016-17.

A total of 297 new beds would be created across the province. This would be in addition to the 403 new beds already created since 2006.

Further details of the new commitments to long-term care are expected to be announced by Graham .

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »

People's Alliance of New Brunswick

The New Kid on the Block

http://www.panb.org/

PANB PLATFORM: Democratic Accountability – The MLAs and their constituents.

In the last number of years, the people of New Brunswick have witnessed many examples of the decline of our democratic institutions and ideals. Your MLAs have behaved with excessive self-interest, such as the manner in which they raised their own compensation packages, and with disregard to the interests of their Constituents, such as the NB Power sell off and dealing with punitive property tax increases. It is obvious that our democracy needs reform to return control to the Citizens of this province.

Carl Bainbridge For MLA Moncton North PANB

Carl Bainbridge

[email protected]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carl-Bainbridge-For-MLA-Moncton-North-PANB/151253164891939

http://www.carlbainbridge.ca/2010/06/review-of-last-couple-days.html

http://www.blogger.com/profile/16042964155933448813

Mission Statement
Democratic Revolution was started in the middle of the NB Power fiasco to give people an alternative voice.

When I looked around at the various parties weighing their positions and the viability of their chances in the next election I realized that each party presently out there had a problem.

Liberals caused this and other messes in the past and were not likely to hold much power after the next election if there was the least element of a viable alternative.

Those alternatives prior to the start of the Democratic Revolution were:

Conservatives - The issues that caused the most problems there were simple. They started this mess when they prepared to sell off pieces of NB Power during the previous government. David Alward was not showing himself to be a strong leader, and it is believed by many that the titles conservative and liberal are generallyinterchangeablein this province.

NDP have a very loyal following. However they are linked to strong union ties, which alienates a large number of voters. Also there is the perception, however wrong, that they will disagree with any piece of legislation put before the legislature simply for the sake of disagreeing. The appearance of not being able to compromise on anything less than what they want, whether true or not, does damage their appeal.

Greens are considered to be connected to eco-fanatics and solely a one issue party. This may have been true at the outset. However, this party has grown over the years to the point that they have an acceptable platform Nevertheless they still must shake the old opinions. They also have not had the opportunity to have a truly charismatic leader to bring them the visibility they need.

This comparison led me to believe that we had minimal options during the next election. We were faced with hoping that the greens or NDP could change the perception of the masses, or we had to worry that we could even get another liberal win if the province did not warm to Alward.

The aim of the Democratic Revolution is two fold:

Give the people of New Brunswick an option that does not come with a background of certain behaviours or beliefs.

Develop a party whose sole aim is to return to the people of New Brunswick a more full and complete democracy than we have enjoyed in the past.

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »

Just one of the many reasons why the province of New Brunswick has no money for the things that are important to its residents...

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1194126

The Liberals and Progressive Conservatives voted unanimously in 2008 to increase MLAs' salaries from $45,347 to $85,000, nearly $30,000 more than the median family income.

They also voted to increase pensions to $30,000 a year after eight years of service, up from $16,500 and to $76,000 annually after 20 years, up from $41,000.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 06:30:14 PM »
And it was kept quiet wasn't it? I seem to recall it was in a thread here and I said something about how come it wasn't picked up on by any reporters. ???
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »
And it was kept quiet wasn't it? I seem to recall it was in a thread here and I said something about how come it wasn't picked up on by any reporters. ???

I'd do my best to keep it quiet to if I was one of them making THAT much  lol

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »

Why vote NDP?

Roger Duguay and the New Democratic Party are building an alternative to Liberal and Conservative incompetence. Our party is under new management.

Roger Duguay has a team of experienced New Brunswickers who have worked in politics across Canada and around the world. We are businesspeople, workers, community volunteers: people like you, who share your values.

We are a party of middle class New Brunswick families. We are not afraid to confront our province’s problems. We are optimistic about our future but we know we have to be realistic.

We are a moderate, pragmatic party, committed to giving everyone an equal chance to do well in life. We will reward hard work and persistence, and make sure New Brunswick families have the tools they need to succeed.

That means good schools, good healthcare, safe communities and roads and other public infrastructure that work for you, the people who pay for them.

We need an honest conversation about what government can do, and what it can’t. We are tired of governments that promise and spend without making life better for our families. The Liberals and Conservatives have broken too many promises. They have had their chance, it is time for something new.

The NDP is under new management and we’re working hard for only one reason.

We want to put New Brunswick under new management: Your management.

If that is what you want, join us and get involved.

Your party, your province, your NDP.

NDP Candidates
http://nbndp.ca/node/285

Moncton Crescent   Cyprien Okana

Moncton East   Teresa Sullivan

Moncton North   Jean Guimond

Moncton West   Shawna Gagne

NDP vow 'modest' campaign

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1194456

NDP Leader Roger Duguay said " any spending commitments we make in this election will be modest, and they will be balanced out by savings elsewhere."

"Unlike the Liberals and Progressive Conservatives, we are going to talk openly and honestly about what government spending we would cut to reduce the deficit and make room in the budget for our modest spending proposals. We have specific proposals to cut waste, but we will not be cutting front-line services like health care and education."

The NDP are rebuilding their support base this fall after seeing it collapse completely in a disastrous provincial campaign four years ago.

Prior to that, the NDP had one MLA in the legislature for 14 years - Elizabeth Weir - who was always more popular than her party.

Duguay said what he's hoping for is a minority government with the NDP holding the balance of power.

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »

More

Key issues expected to be debated during the campaign:

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1191347

Economy: Liberals are promising to create 20,000 new jobs by cutting taxes to stir investment and focusing on energy projects. The Conservatives say they won't raise taxes.

Energy:
Since deal to sell NB Power to Hydro-Québec was scrapped, the Liberal government has been working with Nova Scotia to bolster the regional energy grid. Conservatives improving the province's transmission system and promised a rate freeze until March 31, 2013, as they formulate the direction they would take in government Debt and deficits: The debt is forecast to hit $9.5 billion next year. The deficit for the fiscal year that ended on March 31 was almost $738 million.

"Let me say it loud and clear right now: NB Power is not for sale."Progressive Conservative Leader David Alward said on Aug.27,2010
http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1192755

Property Taxes:
There have been complaints that property taxes around the province are increasing too quickly. The Liberals are promising to freeze property assessments for two years and Conservatives have promised to cap property tax increases at three per cent while a better solution is sought.

Nuclear:
Delays and cost overruns in the refurbishment of the Point Lepreau nuclear power plant could reach $1 billion.

====================================================================================================================================================================
A youngster asks her father if all fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time..." He answers,  "No. Some of the them begin with, 'If elected, I promise to..." "

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
I'd do my best to keep it quiet to if I was one of them making THAT much  lol
But what did they offer the political reporters so as not to write it up for a Pulitzer Prize?  :laugh:

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »
because we have no more freedom of speech and press is controlled because of it

BIGOTRY
   a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »
because we have no more freedom of speech and press is controlled because of it

I see.

So how did it find its way into the papers? By mistake? :laugh:

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 10:04:51 AM »
was it fully explained ?

BIGOTRY
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
was it fully explained ?

The Liberals and Progressive Conservatives  voted unanimously in 2008 to increase MLAs' salaries from $45,347 to $85,000, nearly $30,000 more than the median family income.

They also voted to increase pensions to $30,000 a year after eight years of service, up from $16,500 and to $76,000 annually after 20 years, up from $41,000.

Well, that was a pretty good explanation of what they did.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »
Well, that was a pretty good explanation of what they did.

hey that old news 2008  ??//

that why they got away with it

BIGOTRY
RACIST

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 11:12:23 AM »
But a cover up isn't really a cover up if you let the cat out of the bag.  :laugh:

The people concerned now look like sneaky greedy bastards. Had the information been revealed before they wouldn't have looked sneaky and they may well even have been able to spin things to justify an increase.

For example, the increase to $85k apparently gave them $30k more than typical income. That means typical income was $55k. Their pay before the increase was $45k.

It would have been very easy for them to have justified a big rise having fallen behind and then a little spin for a bit more.

That would have been a bit less embarrassing than being made to look sneaky as well.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
   very true   

what do you expect from politicians   they do not need to be accountable for their actions     ....they are the law if it does not suit them well change it

BIGOTRY
RACIST

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »

Green Party of New Brunswick

http://www.greenpartynb.ca/

A Green Government Will:

* Tackle the roots of poverty and social injustice
    * Improve health by focusing on the environment, healthy lifestyles, education and employment
    * Implement our made-in-New Brunswick energy policy
    * Reclaim our public forest
    * Legislate sweeping democratic reform
    * Prepare our communities for a green economy
    * Introduce fair property tax laws

New Brunswick Green Party Charter of Principles

http://www.greenpartynb.ca/en/leader/charter-of-principles

Reflecting the values and vision of the first Green parties formed in Europe in the 1970s and 1980s, and more recently the global network of Green parties, the New Brunswick party is guided by a set of principles that define our vision of a sustainable New Brunswick.

We are a province of diverse communities - First Nations, Acadian, anglophone, new Canadians - united in the desire that our children and grandchildren will thrive in the face of global change. The Green Party believes the future is rooted in resilient, self-reliant communities, a renewed sense of citizenship, equal opportunities for all citizens, and an ecologically sustainable economy. In this we are guided by the following fundamental principles:

Living Within our Ecological Means

*      Humanity and all other species are an integral part of the Earth’s biosphere. The Earth’s ability to provide resources and energy to meet human demands and to absorb our waste and pollution is limited. Our primary responsibility is to learn to live within the ecological and resource limits of the planet, providing for the needs of all people, while not threatening the existence of other species and future generations.
    *      We seek a shift from today’s Consumer Society based on perpetual growth to a Conserver Society based on ecological and social sustainability.
    *      Because our knowledge is limited, we must take the path of precaution in order that life is not jeopardized and ecosystems are protected.

Local Self-Reliance

*      New Brunswick communities must be in charge of their own destiny to the greatest extent possible. Resilient, sustainable communities require economies that meet local needs and are locally controlled, minimizing dependency on external forces.
    *      Self-reliance and resilience is built on public assets placed in the hands of and dedicated to the service of local communities.
    *      Local self-reliance is integral to the shift from a Consumer Society to a Conserver Society which respects the ecological and social limits of human production.

[b]Participatory Democracy[/b]

*      The cornerstone of any democracy is a media independent of vested and political interests, reflecting the full diversity of New Brunswick society. Without this our province’s full democratic potential cannot be realized.
    *      New Brunswickers must have meaningful opportunities to participate in the decisions that affect their lives, created through responsive and decentralized democratic processes, structures and institutions.
    *      Enthusiastic participation in elections is contingent on an electoral system in which every vote counts and results in a Legislature that reflects the diversity of political viewpoints of all New Brunswick citizens.
    * New Brunswickers have a right to healthy air, safe water and a wholesome food supply; a right to know when these are threatened or have been compromised; and a right to participate in decisions that have the potential to do harm to people and ecosystems.

Social Justice and Equality

*      We are all diminished by the presence of poverty amidst great wealth. A caring society ensures that all people have equal access to the necessities of life and to amenities which enhance our collective human experience -- health, education, quality housing, meaningful livelihoods, and cultural enrichment. Recognizing that individual wealth is socially created, the greatest burden for ensuring a just society must be borne by those with the greatest means.
    *      We commit to reducing the gap between rich and poor by identifying and addressing the root causes of economic and social injustice at home and globally.
    *      The full diversity of New Brunswick society – ethnic, linguistic, sexual orientation, cultural, generational – must be supported and minorities protected.
    *      Women have the right to full and equal participation in all aspects of society.
    *      We recognize and respect the treaty rights of First Nations and seek a trusting and respectful relationship between aboriginal and non-aboriginal communities.

Self-Determination and Citizenship

*      Understanding that it takes a village to raise a child, we assert our collective responsibility for ensuring that every child is raised in a healthy nurturing environment where they are afforded an equal opportunity to develop physically, emotionally, socially and intellectually to their reach their full potential.
    *      Each person must be granted both the right and opportunity to reach their full potential as autonomous individuals, empowered to assert control over their own circumstances and to assume the responsibility of active citizenship within supportive communities.
    *      To counter the cynicism and detachment of individuals from the political life of our province, people must be seen as citizens in communities contributing to a common good, not as self-interested consumers in a Consumer Society.

Non-Violence[/b]

*      We declare our commitment to strive for a culture of peace and cooperation between individuals, within communities and in relations between governments and citizens.
    *      We commit to reducing the vulnerability of women and children to violence by building caring and protective communities.
    *      We seek a justice system centred on rehabilitation and reconciliation rather than retribution and revenge.
    *      We believe that local, national and global security should rest on cooperation, just economic and social structures and relations, ecological security, and vigorous protection of human rights.

Moncton Crescent

Mike Milligan   [email protected] ,   http://www.greenpartynb.ca/en/elections2010/green-candidates/ridings2/mike-milligan-moncton-crescent

Moncton East

Roy MacMullin

Facebook: Roy MacMullin Moncton East / Est

Alternate Email: [email protected]

Website URL: http://www.roy2010.ca    E-mail: [email protected]    http://www.greenpartynb.ca/en/elections2010/green-candidates/ridings2/roy-macmullin-moncton-east

Moncton West

Carrie Sullivan

http://www.greenpartynb.ca/en/elections2010/green-candidates/ridings2/carriesullivanmonctonwest

Email: [email protected]        E-mail: [email protected]

Moncton North

Issues
Heath and Well-being
Green Economy
Just Society
Real Democracy
Sustainable Energy Plan
Reality Check

====================================================================================================================================================================

The Liberals and Progressive Conservatives voted unanimously in 2008 to increase MLAs' salaries from $45,347 to $85,000, nearly $30,000 more than the median family income.

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2010, 09:38:54 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=136611853044166&v=info

Re-Elect T.J. Burke as MLA for Fredericton Nashwaaksis

Thomas James "T.J." Burke QC (born 1972) is a New Brunswick lawyer and politician. Burke was the first Aboriginal who hails from Tobique First Nation selected to a legislature anywhere in Atlantic Canada.

Burke was born in Los Angeles, California. His family returned to Canada in 1978, and he was raised in Fredericton, New Brunswick. He graduated from Fredericton High School in 1990. After high school, Burke enlisted in the United States Marine Corps where he served from 1990 to 1995. Following his stint in the U.S. military, Burke again returned to Canada and completed a Bachelor of Arts at St. Thomas University and a law degree at Dalhousie University. He practiced law in Fredericton from being called to the bar until he was named to the cabinet.

Fredericton-Nashwaaksis deserves an MLA that will work for you and get results. As your MLA, I remain committed to being accessible, willing to listen, while working together to make our community and Province a better place to live and raise your family.

With your support, the riding of Fredericton- Nashwaaksis will continue to have strong representation in the Legislative Assembly.

Work Experience:

Partner - Whitehead, Bird, Miles & Burke
Minister of Environment (2009)
Minister of Justice & Attorney General (2006-2009)
Partner - Gaffney & Burke (2001-2006)
University of New Brunswick - Instructor (2003-2006)
St. Thomas Univsersity - Instructor (2002-2003)
Associate Paul & Gaffney Law - (2000-2002)

Education:

Bachelor of Laws (Dalhousie)
Bachelor of Arts (UNB)

Political Experience:

Elected to the Legilslative Assembly in 2003 as MLA for Fredericton North;

Elected to Legislative Assembly in 2006 as MLA for Fredericton- Nashwaaksis

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 10:54:51 PM »

Graham promises new N.B. holiday

September 5, 2010
CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nbvotes2010/story/2010/09/05/nb-graham-election-family-day.html

New Brunswick Liberals would create a new statutory holiday if they win the Sept. 27 provincial election, the party announced Sunday.

Family Day would be held the third Monday in February, giving New Brunswickers a vacation in what is currently a breakless stretch between New Year's Day and Good Friday.

In a statement, Liberal Leader Shawn Graham noted that Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario already have a Family Day. Adding one in New Brunswick could attract skilled workers, he said.

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

N.B. Grits propose First Nations language classes

September 7, 2010
CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nbvotes2010/story/2010/09/07/nbvotes-first-nations-language-education-943.html#socialcomments

The New Brunswick Liberals are proposing that Maliseet and Mi'kmaq languages be taught in the school system.

Leading up to the Sept. 27 provincial election, Liberal Leader Shawn Graham made the announcement on Tuesday at the Chief Harold Sappier Memorial Elementary School on the St. Mary's First Nation in Fredericton.

Graham said the goal is to develop a curriculum that will have First Nations language training as a part of the school system at every grade in the public system.

"The Mi'kmaq and Maliseet culture and language are an important part of what defines New Brunswick," Graham said in a statement.

"This will enable First Nations students to more easily retain their language and allow other non-aboriginal students to learn more about the tremendous cultural and historical richness that our Mi'kmaq and Maliseet First Nations contribute to New Brunswick."

The Liberal announcement comes four days after Andrea Bear Nicholas, chair of native studies at St. Thomas University, wrote in an analysis for CBC News that First Nations languages were on the verge of extinction.

Bear Nicholas said the provincial government should introduce a program called mother-tongue medium education, which has been used in other parts of the world so indigenous languages are not lost forever.

She said teaching First Nations children their traditional languages would help solve other social programs.

"These include such social and financial costs as welfare, addictions, suicide, incarceration and poor health," Bear Nicholas write.

"As one analyst has put it, it would cost far less to provide a private tutor in the mother-tongue to a child for nine years than it would cost to keep a person in prison for one year."
Other promises

This is the latest education announcement by the Liberals, who are campaigning for re-election. Recent public opinion polls suggest the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives are in a tight, two-way race.

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »

N.B.'s jobless rate hits 9.6%
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nbvotes2010/story/2010/09/10/nbvotes-election-economy-labour-force-1251.html

Grits set target of 12,000 new people
http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1203779

On Sept. 3rd, Shawn Graham 'pledged' to increase New Brunswick's population by 12,000 people by 2014.

Today we learn we have 9.6% unemployment, up from 8.1% in 2006.

Today we have 365,000 unemployed and Graham wants to bring in 12,000 immigrants  to add to that list.The nerve of the man.

It's time to put Shawn Grahams name on the unemployed list.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:27 PM »
so really which b/s'er is better at lying   so we can all vote for him  ......
i think it would be better if evryone would waste their votes  by putting an X on every name   to show that we want no more b/s

BIGOTRY
RACIST

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »

Re:

Tories question Louis Robichaud's widow's pension

Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010

http://www.monctonforums.com/index.php?topic=2087.15

Robichaud's widow demands apology from Liberals

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/09/13/nb-robichaud-widow-statement.html

The widow of former New Brunswick premier Louis J. Robichaud is lashing out at the Liberals over their "amateurish" handling of questions surrounding her provincial pension and other payments.

Jacqueline Robichaud released a scathing statement on Monday in which she demanded an apology from Greg Byrne, a senior Liberal cabinet minister, over public comments he made during the controversy over the widow's pension Robichaud has been receiving since 2007.

Jacqueline Robichaud's letter

Today, I write to you about events that were passed behind my back.

There is a limit in ruining the reputation of a woman who has done nothing wrong.

Someone started a story about my pension as the wife of former [premier] Louis J. Robichaud that [Liberal Premier] Shawn Graham had kept secret, when I thought everything was done legally.

Then, someone submitted accusing documents to the media against me stating that I received thousands of dollars in 2006 for the campaign to Shawn Graham.

As if that were not enough, the finance minister of Shawn Graham, Mr. Greg Byrne, told CBC Radio on Aug. 24 I was an old woman who did not know what she is saying. And they also say I received $150,000 from the government — never!!!

To see all these disappointments and accusations, I wonder if this does not come from the same direction as the minister of finance and the government.

In summary, I acknowledge having assisted Shawn Graham in his campaign of 2006, with observers stating that … my hard work and dedication had helped him win the election.

I have helped them, and now they are not there to come to my defence, nice bunch! And especially not the [premier]!

No! I am not guilty, and I have done nothing illegal. Also, I demand a formal apology from the minister of finance for his insults.

Hundreds of people are asking me and calling me in order to know who I will vote [for], … saying they will follow me in this direction. Guess who I will vote for?

Know that my husband Louis J. Robichaud had more diplomacy and savoir vivre, and he would be very angry at this amateurish situation.

I gave the victory to Shawn Graham in 2006, but I can assure you, this time I am voting differently!

Jacqueline Robichaud

Widow of Louis J. Robichaud

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »

Hundreds of people are asking me and calling me in order to know who I will vote [for], … saying they will follow me in this direction. Guess who I will vote for?

I gave the victory to Shawn Graham in 2006, but I can assure you, this time I am voting differently!

Jacqueline Robichaud

Can one ticked off lil ol lady take down the libs ?

Useta

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »

Independent~ Moncton West

ELECT / VOTEZ

Barry Renouf

Protecting your rights!

As your independent MLA in Moncton West, I will fight for your rights and concerns with the same vigor and dedication that I have displayed with the forced Moncton sign bylaw issue which was voted against on a petition by 98% of the more than 200 business owners that I visited of English, Acadian and of most other ethnic backgrounds that make up the great City of Moncton. While the business owners agreed that the growing linguistic community is of concern, they agreed that being forced to do it is not the proper approach to the matter.

Giving back

I will donate $ 1,000.00 of my salary per month to needy, registered Moncton West charities until the New Brunswick government MLA’s decide to roll back their wages and pensions to a more acceptable level.

Healthcare

While millions of dollars are poured into our healthcare system annually, are we getting anywhere? I propose that we start from the bottom up instead of the top down. We introduce nutritionists into the school system to teach children about the ill-effects of poor nutrition. As children make the majority of the food purchasing decisions in the home, an educated and healthy child will take the burden off of the healthcare system by becoming a healthy adult.

Crime

As Moncton continues to grow, so will its crime rate. I believe that in order to help prevent crime in our neighborhoods, it would be beneficial if we were more educated as to the extent of it. Several maritime newspapers list the types of crime committed in various neighborhoods on a weekly basis. When we see crime happening on our street, we will be more committed to neighborhood watch programs and initiatives.

Business Initiatives

Small business owners in Moncton are the lifeblood of our city and employ more people than all of the larger businesses combined. I will make my constituency office available to Moncton West business owners to apply for government grants and/or loans to expand their business and will provide all of the available forms required with a trained staff member to help with the application.

Employment

While job opportunities continue to be a major concern in New Brunswick. My constituency office will also be available for the unemployed in Moncton West to bring in their job resumes. A properly prepared resume is the key to obtaining employment. My staff member will also be trained in resume preparation.

Official Languages Act

Upon election as MLA for Moncton West, I will table a bill for a comprehensive non-partisan study to explore the impacts of the policies of Official Bilingualism as they pertain to the everyday lives of the people residing in the province of New Brunswick. At no time, in the history of any political party or private entity within this province, that a study of this magnitude has been undertaken or offered to its citizens." This Province deserves nothing less than a complete analysis of how bilingualism has affected the personal and economic well being of the English, Acadian and First Nations peoples of New Brunswick. This study can include growth and or decline of population, employment, the retail environment, the segregation of our public institutions and even include signage and flag issues as they have appeared to ignite a recent firestorm of division amongst our population. This study should also focus on all other issues that have appeared since the inception of the Official Languages Act. The conclusion of the study may also allow for a Province wide referendum to allow the people of New Brunswick to decide their future regarding whether we will be English, French or a Bilingual Province.

Election Statement

I Barry Renouf, promise to fulfill my Oath of Office and to serve all of the constituents of Moncton West to the best of my abilities with the utmost of respect and dignity.

Experience & Charities

President: Display Electronics International. Inc. Display Electronics is an electronic advertising and associated equipment repair business that deals with the sports, airline, military and retail industry in the Maritime Provinces and Europe with a clientele of over 500 customers. My dedication to my customers in this field has earned me an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau of the Maritimes. I will apply this same dedication to my constituents in the riding of Moncton West.

Member: Centre for Science in the Public Interest, (CSPI) is a non-profit health advocacy group located in Washington, DC and Ottawa, ON that designs educational programs and lobbies for changes in government and corporate health policies.

Since 1991 I have been the supplier and operator of the Christmas Daddies Telethon Total Board, I have invited businesses to contribute to our fundraising activities and together we have raised millions of dollars for needy families at Christmas. Christmas Daddies proceeds go directly back to the communities where they are donated and are distributed by the Salvation Army.

For the past three years I have been a volunteer at the Green Festival (greenfestival.ca) located 30 minutes north of Moncton. The Green Festival is a non-profit family operated event that provides activities for children, features music by local artists and provides a showcase for green-product oriented businesses to display their products.

In 2007 I initiated a recyclable bottle program at a large Moncton apartment complex that benefits the Moncton Boys & Girls Club over $ 200.00 annually and continues to this day.

Overview

Thank you for reading my brochure. My objective is for the people of New Brunswick to live in a peaceful, happy and healthy environment where we can take pride in each others accomplishments and offer the same to all of whom we encounter.

If you have not received a voter registration card in the mail, please call 869-6480 to register.

Si vous préférez cette correspondance en français, s'il vous plaît email [email protected] pour votre copie.

If you would like a drive to your polling station, call 860-6007.

If you would like to donate to this campaign, call 860-6007.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »
everybody needs their moment of fame in life

BIGOTRY
RACIST

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
Hey Useta

N.B. Tories introduce legislation to allow for referendums

May 26th, 2011 / Greg Weston / Telegraph-Journal,Saint John, New Brunswick

Liberal Bill Fraser against referendums, claims ‘Official Languages Act wouldn’t have passed a public vote’

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/actualites/article/1409770

FREDERICTON – The Conservative government fulfilled one of its campaign promises on Wednesday, introducing legislation that would require referendums for significant issues – but the law still leaves it up to the government to decide what meets the criteria.

Premier David Alward said he didn’t expect that such votes would become common in new Brunswick, but they remain an important mechanism to have available.

“A referendum is not to be used in every situation, but certainly in situations that are very significant that have a very large impact on the people of New Brunswick,” he told reporters.

“Especially when a government has not run on that specific mandate, I believe it is important before making a decision to look at opportunities such as a referendum.”

Bill Fraser, the Opposition house leader, said Alward should be leading, not deferring to the public.

“We’re elected as MLAs to make difficult decisions and make decisions on behalf of New Brunswickers. People put their trust in us to do that,” he said.

“If politicians hide behind referendums every time a tough decision needs to be made, I’m not sure how far the province is going to move forward.”

In the event of a referendum, a special committee of MLAs would be formed to craft the question, meaning the government would also have the ultimate say over the wording.

There have been two referendums in New Brunswick’s history. The first came in 1967 and rejected lowering the voting age from 21 to 18, while the second was in 2001 on the fate of VLTs.

Fraser says the latter vote was heavily influenced by those with large resources, while the landmark – and contentious – Official Languages Act wouldn’t have passed a public vote.

The Referendum Act, which received first reading in the house on Wednesday, states that the issue must be worded in the form of a yes or no question.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »
MLAs question New Brunswick’s language duality

July 1st, 2011

Glen Tait and  Sherry Wilson question cost of duality in N.B’s. health and education sectors with province in financial crisis.

by shawn berry,Times & Transcript,Moncton, New Brunswick
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/newstoday/article/1420284

FREDERICTON – Premier David Alward distanced himself yesterday from comments by two backbench Tories who questioned the cost of duality in New Brunswick’s health and education sectors.

“I was quite frankly disappointed with what I heard from the two members today. Their comments certainly do not reflect our platform commitments or the policy of our party,” Alward said yesterday by telephone.

“I have not spoken with them yet. I have left a message for the two members to call me. I want to hear directly from them.”

Saint John East MLA Glen Tait and Petitcodiac MLA Sherry Wilson declined to speak with reporters yesterday afternoon as they left a committee meeting.

During a hearing earlier in the day with the province’s Official Languages Commissioner, Michel Carrier, Tait questioned why there were both English and French-language schools and hospitals in the province and not bilingual institutions.

“This province is in a very terrible financial crisis. We hear most departments say they can’t stand any other cuts.

“It’s becoming very costly to offer duality services rather than bilingual services,” he said.

Wilson later told Carrier “I see that since I have been in government, some things are not affordable because of duality.”

She later asked if there might be a way to streamline some services, saying that a family member in her riding lives next door to a child for whom a bus is diverted 20 miles to send a child to a French-language school.

“It’s expensive, it isn’t affordable and it angers people,” Wilson told Carrier.

Carrier told them that putting languages services on the chopping block shouldn’t be seen as the solution to solve New Brunswick’s economic woes.

“You have got to look at bilingualism as something more than a burden,” he told Tait.

“It’s not an accounting position, it’s more of an ideological position,” Carrier said.

Alward agreed.

“As a party and a government we have a history of supporting our constitutional obligations and also the spirit of building the equality of our two linguistic communities on a service and cultural level,” the premier said.

To date, the Alward government has steered clear of any major controversy over New Brunswick’s status as Canada’s only officially bilingual province.

The government recently named a committee of legislators to review the province’s Official Languages Act. That review is to be complete by next year.

The premier said the government has held caucus briefings for members outlining the government’s obligations under New Brunswick’s Official Languages Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Carrier said that while hospitals and other health facilities may operate as anglophone or francophone institutions, he said they all have a responsibility to afford services in either official language.

But he said even he has had trouble accessing French-language medical services.

Carrier also said no one talks about cutting services to other groups in the province – like senior citizens.

While talking to MLAs, Carrier said he feels his office is sometimes misunderstood.

“My job is that of an advocate. I’m a watchdog, but I’m not mean-spirited or an angry person,” he said.

“The Official Languages Act was never created to make people bilingual. But it has created an opportunity to allow people to become bilingual if they choose to.”

Wilson highlighted cases where a family member and an acquaintance did not qualify for jobs because they were not bilingual.

Carrier told the committee that it is a myth that one needs to be bilingual to work for the government.

At least six out of every 10 positions in government and Crown corporations are designated unilingual, he said.

Wilson also said there are concerns about the fact that the Official Languages Act has been used by some to try to avoid fines.

She pointed to one specific example cited during the hearing where a driver tried to challenge a speeding ticket because the police officer did not make an active offer to serve him in the official language of his choice.

“If you’re speeding, in French or English, you should get a ticket,” she said.

The driver in question in the 2008 case cited yesterday was Paul Robichaud, now the province’s deputy premier. Though the judge agreed his rights were violated, Robichaud’s challenge of the ticket – because the officer didn’t offer to serve him in English – was dismissed and Robichaud was fined.

Robichaud said last year that he challenged the ticket in a bid to ensure every New Brunswicker was offered the right to access service in either official languages. More recently, some impaired driving cases have been thrown out because officers didn’t make an offer of service. One case has been appealed by the province.

Carrier said there’s a knee-jerk reaction that happens in some quarters when it comes to New Brunswick’s linguistic reality.

“You can’t start by saying that bilingualism is one of the culprits of our economic situation,” he said.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »
tell M.Wilson he is a bigot that is afraid of progress

but i do agree about one thing why  a French and English health care ..why not a bilingual one

ah yea now i remember the English are incapable of learning French to be bilingual and work there so they are crying again

BIGOTRY
RACIST

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2011, 12:17:36 AM »
ah yea now i remember the English are incapable of learning French to be bilingual and work there so they are crying again

Notme, you really must stop generalising an entire peoples, you know. It sounds very like what your sig is about.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2011, 12:24:41 AM »
so how come French people are not allowed to generalize the English but the English are allowed to generalize us ?????

BIGOTRY
RACIST