Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: Moncton Hospitals  (Read 3115 times)

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
Moncton Hospitals
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »
Picking up from a missing thread.

Yesterday I had reason to use ER at The Moncton Hospital. The pain that suddenly came on and increased was instantly recognisable as that caused by a kidney stone back in the 80s.

Back ache one can get relief from. It might hurt to move from a pain free position but at least it's possible to be reasonably comfortable.

Pain from a kidney stone is different, as I'm sure anyone who's suffered will testify. There is no relief. No position of minimum discomfort. You don't know what to do with yourself.

Having experienced it before I knew I had to get to ER.

Within a few minutes the Triage nurse did a quick verbal check of the people who had arrived since her last check and sat us in order - moving along as each patient was called in.

I was there about 15-20 minutes, in discomfort but not dying. Someone who'd already been seen but was clearly not a priority was on the phone saying she had no idea how long it would be. I can't really say she was complaining but then a young mother rushed in with a baby in her arms. The Triage nurse rushed over to help.

That stopped any likely complaints.

Another ten minutes and the guy who was next had mysteriously disappeared leaving me next instead. Why would you do that when you're next? ???

Anyway, my turn came and she immediately decided to check bed availability and maybe 45 minutes after arrival I was wearing my draughty gown. Another 5 minutes the doc was examining me and another 5 minutes I was shot with what I assume was morphine. Bliss.

I was there for 8 and a half hours overall but around 7 of that involved tests and a cat scan, observation, more painkillers, drips, waiting for results, etc.

The initial wait was well under an hour and was in line with the other times we've had an ER need - including the Dumont.

Can it be that when people complain of a long wait they add up the whole time to make it seem worse or have we just been lucky? All six times.
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
Re: Moncton Hospitals
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:46:24 PM »
I usually have good luck. Of course arriving in an ambulance cuts down one's time in the waiting room, even more if he is onconsious. The longest I ever had to wait was about 30 minutes to get signed in and about 5 1/2 hours actually waiting but that was with a sore foot and they had wall to wall people. I think there were about 40 people ahead of me plus whatever emergencies that came in after I got there. Waiting is part of the game. If it was a matter of just walking in and out people would be going there with broken fingernails and hickies. The wait helps weed out a lot of people especially on Superbowl Sunday. If you ever need a cheap place to stay the night just go to the waiting room, pick a number, grab a seat, and wait. When it gets close to your number being called trade with the last person who came in. It will make their day and give you more sleeping time. If the hospital staff catch on to your stunt they will let you know by calling the parents of the Wah Wah kid to help drive you away. Anybody who spends any amount of time in waiting rooms, on busses, or fast food places near the end of the month will know all about the Wah Wah kid.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
If you ever need a cheap place to stay the night just go to the waiting room
Laundromat?

If you were desperate enough though couldn't you just "be with someone" in ER and you're waiting for news?

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
That's a great place to gran a couple of half hour snoozes. It's nice and warm and the hum of the machines is very relaxing. Try tostay away from the place in the mornings or you will most likely encounter the Wah Wah kid.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
Last year I had an ulcer on my toe. I was referred to the Dumont for treatment as the Moncton Hospital couldn't take on new referrals for this sort of thing.

Despite wearing my shoes with the orthotic inserts, a problem has returned.

My doc referred me to the Moncton hospital - same day. I had no appointment; just had to go and possibly wait.

Of I went to Clinic C. They tapped in my details, immediately identified they'd had the referral and I went straight in to the little ward at the back where I was met and treated.

Instantly.

Wonderful.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
Back again today for another look and redress of the toe.

Was supposed to go in the afternoon - quieter time - but I had to return a bit of equipment Mrs BristolUK used overnight by 10.00 am so I dropped by then.

It looked very quiet but I soon learned there was no link between the number waiting in the registration/waiting area and the number getting attended to in the ward and the rooms.

They were much busier than two days earlier. But I was still attended to in half an hour.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
For a few years now we've been going to the hospitals, been seen very quickly and efficiently and home in no time. I've posted about it often - but it was one of the lost threads.

Mrs Bristol UK is more amazed because in Quebec things always took a long time. In fact, I remembered accompanying my step daughter for a blood test once and we went very early because it "always took a long time and the earlier the better" from their previous experiences. The waiting room was packed out. People were called a few at a time and it seemed an age before the next batch was called. We were there at least three hours.

Thinking about it now, and having been for the same thing here what must have been around 50 times between me and her, not every blood extraction takes the same time; some folk are not comfortable with the needle, some veins don't like to behave etc. So maybe previously in Quebec when they called half a dozen names perhaps they didn't call the next batch until they'd all been done and the phlebotomists who have finished with their patient just twiddle their thumbs in the meantime.***

Even when there has been a bit of a wait at the Moncton Hospital there has been a constant flow in and out instead of people waiting for a batch of names to be called. And that's been when they were at 100 Arden as well as the new unit.

Anyway, we've mentioned this to the M/I/L many times and she's responded how, with her late husband, everything in Quebec took an age.

She's been with us for a couple of my wife's tests and seen how quick it's been. Finally, today, it was her turn.

Her first time as a patient here so the registration process took longer than a simple check-in. There was one ahead of us on arrival and while we were registering, the queue became 8 behind us. By the time we were done, five of those behind had moved over to the clinic part.

Yet we still got to the desk without queuing and then we went straight in!!  :) No wait, no number. In and out in a couple of minutes.

We then headed to x-ray where we sat for all of two minutes before being called to register there. That took no time at all and we'd barely sat back down when she was called and taken down to the x-ray room.

She changed, came out of the cubicle, turned around so my wife could knot her gown and then she was taken in for the x-ray. And back out in a couple of minutes. Phenomenal.

I reckon from, entering the hospital to leaving, we were there for under half an hour.

*** Thinking back to my time last year getting my toe treated at the Dumont, my waiting area was also that of the blood clinic. I now remember that people were called in batches of three or four and there did seem to be a longer gap than should be necessary between people being called.

It also seemed that there was a single registration point for all the clinics (or at least a few) so that those there for a blood test had to wait with everyone there for procedures that probably involved a longer check-in process. It's noticeable that all the different clinics at the Moncton Hospital have their own registration desks.

Perhaps someone (Willie?) can confirm my observations on the Dumont's process. Maybe it's changed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:11:40 AM by BristolUK »

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:42:59 PM »
I thought I'd posted somewhere about increased waiting times for blood tests at the hospital. Can't see it.

Anyway, several weeks ago my wife had a hospital appointment and we passed a line up at the blood clinic. A line-up!!  :o

The doc wanted to send her for a blood test but there was no way we were waiting, so we came back the next day. It was less busy but still more people there than ever before.

I had to go for one of mine a week or so later, I saw the line up and left without waiting. The next day it was really busy again.

What the hell is going on? Anyone would think another blood testing facility had closed. Why are all these folk getting blood tests done? What's happened?

Today, between arrival and departure we were there for about 1hr 45 mins.  >:(

Strangely quite a few people were turning up with their little Stat cards. At one point there were 3 coming to the front of the line. Fine that they get priority but it looked a bit odd that 9 turned up in about 45 mins.

Just as you feel things were moving there'd be a couple more. It was as if someone had made them 'stat' because they were busier than usual. But if there were a lot more 'normal' patients, it follows there would be a lot more stat patients I suppose. It didn't reduce the irritation though.

Lots dropping off their 24 hour samples too. Understandably they shouldn't wait (they already did) but it still needs checking. It's the first time I've felt irritation there.

We were both having tests today and between Mrs B getting her paperwork done and then me, two more stats were done; that's how frequent the interruptions were.

So many people around it was hard to get the wheelchair through.

Somebody made a comment about it being a way to increase parking revenues.  :-\

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
Somebody made a comment about it being a way to increase parking revenues.  :-\

Speaking of which, there's a debate now going on about parking fees for hospitals throughout Canada. The T&T picked up on it from a local standpoint.

Fair points have been made about additional stress on patients and others attending hospital but locally, the hospital administrators say it's essential for helping funding.

The point was also made that if the parking was free, non hospital users would use it.

I remember commenting on here (or the other place) about the parking at Shoppers DrugMart on Mountain Rd, between the CIBC and Royal banks; packed during the week and empty Friday afternoon and weekends. That suggests Mon-Fri workers use it and I can't imagine those banks have enough employees to fill it, aside from which they both have their own parking anyway.

So there must be many users for nearby workplaces - perhaps even the hospital. That might happen for the hospital parking. Or it might get used as a park and ride.

I suppose, by now, people are well used to parking fees so it's possibly not additional stress. More of a worry, I think, might be arriving there and finding a line of cars waiting for spaces to become free while your appointment is 10 minutes away. That would be stressful and might be more of a problem if charges didn't put some off.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »
I see from today's paper that once again, Dumont hospital has suspended visits for the entire hospital again.

Since we've lived here this has happened at least twice for the whole place while on a few occasions departments have had visits suspended. They also had part closed for a mold problem.

I can't recall a single occasion when visits have been similarly suspended for a department or the whole place for Moncton Hospital.

Is there something different about their procedures that yields better results?