blocked
Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: Codiac Transit / Transpo  (Read 40623 times)

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
Re: Codiac Transit / Transpo
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »
For anybody going anywhere today you'd better leave early. SURPRISE!.....There aren't any busses running.

Codiac Transpo has shut down indefinitely.

Effective Wednesday, June 27, 2012, the City of Moncton has locked out Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) 1290 employees including bus drivers, servicemen and mechanics. 

Codiac Transpo service will resume once a settlement with the union (ATU) has been reached.  The City feels this is the only way to force both parties back to the negotiating table and work towards a settlement.  There was nothing else the City could do to get the union back to the bargaining table, and the service was quickly being reduced to levels that didn’t make sense for anybody.

The City of Moncton apologizes to all Codiac Transpo customers.  While closing Codiac Transpo will be a tremendous inconvenience to you, our goal is to shut down now, get the labour situation resolved as quickly as possible and return to normal operations as soon as we can. 

We feel it makes more sense to suspend service now, when the weather is nicer and it’s easier for people to get around.  A Fall shutdown—when the weather is not as nice—would be worse.

The City knows that our public transit system is an important service provided to residents and businesses in Greater Moncton.  The City and Codiac Transpo are committed to growing the service and improving its efficiency and effectiveness.  However, in order for the service to continue to grow and attract more riders, it must remain affordable.  Public transit costs in Greater Moncton are primarily funded by you—whether you are a taxpayer of Greater Moncton or a Codiac Transpo customer.

The City values the men and women of ATU 1290 and the work they do on behalf of Codiac Transpo.  The City will continue to work towards an agreement that is fair for all parties—taxpayers, transit riders and employees.

stolen from: http://www.moncton.ca/Government/Departments/Codiac_Transpo.htm

Lovely, just fornicating lovely.   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:14:42 AM by willie c wuddle »
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2012, 07:31:08 AM »
All is not totally lost:

If you choose to ride your bike to and from work/school/to run errands/to visit friends and family, remember to adhere the rules of the road and follow these safety tips.

The City of Moncton also has many bike racks located across the city. Here are where you can find back racks:

Facilities
City Hall
Operations Centre – 100 Worthington Avenue
Moncton Tennis Club – Centennial Park
Crossman Community Centre/Kay Arena
MAGMA – Gordon Street
Université de Moncton – Stadium Entrance
Red Ball Internet Centre
Moncton Boys & Girls Club
John Howard Society

stolen from: http://www.moncton.ca/Government/Departments/Codiac_Transpo/Alternate_Transportation.htm

HA HA!
I'll use the bike rack at the U of M when I pedal to Champlain Place later.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:38:25 AM by willie c wuddle »
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline Acadiaman

• Regs
  • Go Montreal. Beat Toronto. Yay.
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2012, 07:34:15 AM »
Somebody should do the terrorist and let the air from all the car at city hall so they have to wakl too.

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:43 AM »
all because of this clause that  the union does not want to remove :

since January 2010, codiac Transpo has received over 181 applications which
led to 54 telephone interviews and 22 face-to-face interviews. only four candidates accepted positions as casual bus drivers. That’s a lot of interviews to
yield only four candidates. once people understand that we cannot guarantee
when or how many hours they will work in a given week, they lose interest
in the job opportunity. And, on the rare occasion when we have been able
to hire someone, they have left because they weren’t guaranteed a certain
amount of hours and didn’t know when they’d be working from week-toweek. This, after codiac Transpo invested several months on training and
development.
The city’s codiac Transpo negotiating team wants to address this issue in a
new collective agreement. This is but one example of how all the flexibility
rests with the union (and permanent drivers with significant seniority). it hampers the organization’s ability to hire, schedule work and effectively manage
its workforce so that it can provide the best public transit system possible

BIGOTRY
   a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #214 on: June 27, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
With today being payday and my sister's birthday, I had eight places to go. Now I think I'll just sit here and swear all day. Why why why couldn't they pull this stunt tomorrow instead of today?

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »
easy and simple willie  ... it because the money grabbers do not care about   the poors   they consider us as slave to obey their rules and live by them

BIGOTRY
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »

There was and I stress that was, supposed to be a large Protest / Demonstration  outside Moncton City Hall on Monday, July 9 at 3:30.( half hour before Council meets)

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »
We the people of Moncton should ban together and form PWT Local 101 Union (PWT meaning People Without Transportation) and if we see any city officials driving in public funded vehicles refuse to vote for them next election. This also means no taxis or streach limos paid from expense accounts.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
Just for the record the other Codiac company is still offering free rides to crooks and criminals to very limited downtown locations.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:43:15 PM by willie c wuddle »

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
Anyone ( yet to be defined ) requiring a drive is requested to call 857- 2008 and the city will ?? send a cab to your door...

More to come ..

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #220 on: June 27, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
That is a very good gesture on behalf of Codiac Transit to provide this service. It's not very economically feasible but shows they care about their customers. My sister says thank you for the taxi they sent this morning. She works at a daycare center and lots of kids depend on her to be there on time. She doesn't have 60 or 70 minutes to walk to work everyday and still have the energy to do her job properly.

Offline Paladin (Site Admin)

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2012, 07:02:53 PM »
Anyone ( yet to be defined ) requiring a drive is requested to call 857- 2008 and the city will ?? send a cab to your door...

More to come ..

Moncton Staff/Council Blew It In Locking Out Codiac Transpo Drivers

June 27, 2012 — Carl Bainbridge
http://carlbainbridge.ca/municipal/?p=431

There are differing positions on the Codiac Transpo lockout and that is to be expected however from an outsider’s perspective I seriously believe that the City of Moncton blew it with this decision. There are numerous reasons why I believe this and I will try to explain some of them here.

Public opinion: While public opinion on many parts of this has supported the city up till this point, in general public opinion generally goes against the group who pulls the trigger on a strike/lockout in any action.

Bargaining Position: The stronger bargaining position always goes to the person who has the least to lose.  By pulling the trigger on a lockout the city has instantly ceded the stronger bargaining position to the ATU

Money Pressure:  When a union goes on strike, the union gives strike pay to its workers, this is usually a small amount and by no means sufficient to meet day-to-day expenses. When the union is locked out, workers are eligible for unemployment which will pay sufficiently more than strike pay. This reduces the urgency on the union to accept a reduction.

Long Term Staffing Concerns:  This is a big issue and due to recent changes to EI could actually effect the strike even more severely.  As the strike in Halifax and the regional bus strike has shown as job action drags on people look for other jobs. This means the city could be faced with a rush to hire new staff after the lockout ends. Changes to EI forcing people to accept lower paying jobs based on length of time unemployed could actually increase staff attrition. This will likely long-term affect the city more than the Union as the staff that lasts the longest will be the strongest of the union members.

Labour Board Case: The issue surrounding the “original deal” is to be heard by the labour board in July. By not waiting till after the labour board case to do a lock out suggests the city is trying to put pressure on the union and also suggests  that perhaps there is a belief amongst the city that they may not win at the labour board. This actually gives this advantage to the Union again.

Timing: This has a couple of aspects :

1/ Election. This action being done so soon AFTER an election. Over time people will question why this was not done before the election and give people and opportunity to voice their opinion on it. It may not have changed the overall results but it would have affected vote counts without a doubt.

2/ Overnight on a weeknight: Instead of doing this after the last bus on a Saturday night to allow the vast majority of bus passengers 24 hours. This was done in a method that did not allow everyone sufficient time to make alternate plans. It is highly likely as well that many people would have gone to the bus stop this AM without even being aware that there was a work stoppage.  Both of these aspects will also damage the city’s position long term.

No matter how I look at this to me long-term the city has now seriously screwed up and has put themselves in a seriously reduced bargaining position. This is in my mind a huge mistake on the part of the city and one that will likely come back to bite them in the long-term.

The only thing at this point that could swing any advantage to the city is if the labour board ruled in favour of the city and in my mind that is unlikely at this point and my suspicion is that the city is well aware of that.

My view on how this plays out is that short term the bus drivers will be the target but as time passes I seriously suspect that this will reverse and the city will be the one to bear the brunt of the anger of those who rely on transit.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »
"Overnight on a weeknight: Instead of doing this after the last bus on a Saturday night to allow the vast majority of bus passengers 24 hours. This was done in a method that did not allow everyone sufficient time to make alternate plans. It is highly likely as well that many people would have gone to the bus stop this AM without even being aware that there was a work stoppage.  Both of these aspects will also damage the city’s position long term."..............Grrrr

Wednesday is the day seniors get to ride free on the busses. A lot of them wait til Wednesday to do their banking and other errands. Also today is direct deposit day for many seniors and people with disabilities. What good is your much needed cheque if you can't get to the bank to take money out to buy food or pay bills? Not everybody has internet banking. I think doing this to people on possibly the most important day of this month is not a good thing. It shows poor judgement and lack of consideration for many decent and hard working (if they can get to work!!!) Monctonians. I hope somebody somewhere has a good reason for this bullsh*t move.

In all fairness I admit to knowing very little about politics or how to handle this situation. I'm sure the city is doing the best they can and I wouldn't want jobs with the pressures they put up with. They do a good job of running our fair city. Let's all try to find a way to cope with today's big mistake. Don't make me call the nightime janitor at city hall to clean this up.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:35:17 PM by willie c wuddle »

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »
"Overnight on a weeknight: Instead of doing this after the last bus on a Saturday night to allow the vast majority of bus passengers 24 hours. This was done in a method that did not allow everyone sufficient time to make alternate plans. It is highly likely as well that many people would have gone to the bus stop this AM without even being aware that there was a work stoppage.  Both of these aspects will also damage the city’s position long term."..............Grrrr

Calculated to bring criticism on the union though.

Note the city is talking about bringing the union back to the negotiating table.

1) the union has been wanting negotiations all along
and
2) the city made a final demand (it's their own definition) that they wanted accepted. That's not negotiation.

It stinks.

And Notme doesn't usually side with the establishment. :(
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »

This could cause trouble....

City of Moncton Offers Transportation Options for Magnetic Hill Concert Site

June 28, 2012

Nickelback – July 7, 2012

MONCTON – The City of Moncton is offering a number of transportation options for the Nickelback concert on July 7th at Magnetic Hill.

“We’re very pleased to be able to provide a number of transportation options to concert goers,” said Shane Porter, Manager of Venues for the City of Moncton. “We’ve worked hard to make sure there are transportation options that will work for all concert-goers. We have strong partners for each section, and the goal is to get everyone to the concert site as efficiently and safely as possible.”

There are four main transportation options available to get to the Magnetic Hill Concert Site:

Park N' Ride – Shuttle Service

In light of the Codiac Transpo shut down, Coach Atlantic, a private shuttle company, will provide shuttle service to the Magnetic Hill Concert site for the Nickelback concert. The Park N’ Ride program will leave from the Moncton Coliseum Parking Lot (377 Killam Drive) and take concert-goers on a direct transit route to the concert site. The shuttle drop off zone will be at the entrance to the concert site, and will allow concert-goers to walk directly to GATE 1. The pick-up zone at the end of the concert, for bracelet holders, will be at the entrance to the Magnetic Hill Park on Mountain Road.  The road will be closed to thru traffic, and RCMP officers and medical officials will be on hand to ensure public safety.

Bracelets will be available for purchase on event day at the Park ‘N Ride booths in the Moncton Coliseum lot (cash only) – $10/person (tax included)
Bracelets cannot be purchased following the concert nor will cash be accepted following the concert - bracelets are the only valid way to access the Park ‘N Ride shuttles
Carpooling is encouraged!
Taxi service will be available from these lots, following the concert
Park ‘N Ride shuttles will travel from designated lots to the concert site beginning at 12:00 noon
Park N’ Ride shuttles will travel from the concert site to the designated lots beginning at 9:30 p.m. until all paid customers have been shuttled.
Bracelets will be sold on a first come, first serve basis
Bicycle Access
Those concert-goers who wish to bike to the event can access the bike lock-ups for the event. In order to use these lock-ups, cyclists can access the concert grounds by entering the main gate to the Magnetic Hill attraction (located on Mountain Road). From there, cyclists will proceed through the attraction grounds, and bike lock-ups are located before the GATE 1 entrance – adjacent to the onsite box office.

Walk-Up Access
Concert-goers who wish to walk to the event can access the concert grounds by entering the main gate to the Magnetic Hill attraction (located on Mountain Road). From there, pedestrians will walk through the attraction grounds, and have direct access to GATE 1 of the concert site.

Taxi
For the 2012 concert season, the Event is pleased to be partnering with Moncton’s Taxi Association to provide better taxi services to and from the concert. The drop-off zone for taxis will be at Gate 1; the main entrance to the concert site, while the pick-up zone will be at Ensley Blvd. and Charles Lutes Rd. Those concert-goers who wish to take a taxi to the site are encouraged to consult any of Moncton’s taxi companies to request services for the day of show.

There will be no official on-site parking for the event. As in previous years, private entrepreneurs will be offering paid parking around the vicinity of the concert site.

Charter Busses will be required to pay a flat rate to park within the Magnetic Hill attraction site. This parking will give passengers direct access to the main concert gate. Bus operators who wish to purchase a parking pass for the event must purchase can do so online (https://secure.ticket-ops.com/Magic_Mountain/parking2012) or call Magic Mountain at 1-800-331-9283 or Coach Atlantic at 1-888-599-4287.

Media Contact:

André Cormier
Corporate Communications
City of Moncton
506-859-2686

Offline Acadiaman

• Regs
« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
At lease if you work at for the concert you have lost of busses to go to your work.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »
Today's T&T had an editorial siding with The City, backing the lock out (surprise surprise) and finished with

Yet we also sympathize with the rank-and-file members of the union. This is not their fault. In our opinion, their leadership has seriously miscalculated the current mood of citizens, the resolve of council and its own strategy. We hope for the sake of union members that a return to the bargaining table comes quickly.

This is a very strange thing to say. The rank and file voted for the strike.

Since they have been in the legal strike position, they could have gone on strike, removing the bus service, at any time over the last two months.

But they have not done so.

As Paladin has shown, The City has misled the public with half truths and gaps in information in their propaganda. The City has also proved themselves to be liars with that nonsense blaming the dispute for the mechanics shortage, when they were short on mechanics for at least two years.

And now, after a lengthy period of the drivers NOT striking, The City has locked them out, depriving people of the service. And the T&T backs it. Absolutely unbelievable.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »
I just sent this to the T&T editor.

You have got to be kidding. We were lied to when we were told the dispute was to blame for the shortage of the mechanics – the shortage that goes back two years.

The rank and file voted for strike action. The union and its members have not yet taken their legal right to strike. Most people would think that was responsible and moderate. But now the City has locked them out, denying citizens of Moncton a bus service. That doesn’t sound responsible or moderate.

And the T&T backs the decision? Unbelievable. Right now I can’t see why I shouldn’t cancel my subscription to the paper. Perhaps I should cancel it and put the money towards my stepdaughter’s cab fare to work.

I’m going to stop now before I resort to the abuse that you so richly deserve.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »
When London's bus drivers threatened to go on strike half the customers knew what to do. The other half were left up in the air.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
 i would have lock them out a long time ago   because the real reason of the strike is not wages .. it the lack of the city being able to find new people  .. no one want to work for a company  that cannot guarranty their hours ......

here the way it works    all senoirs employees  are offered  overtime before the new or casual  are offered  their regular hours  therefore making them have no hours ....   

BIGOTRY
RACIST

Offline Acadiaman

• Regs
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
I get mad for no bus. i call a taxi and the bus driver is driving the taxi. He dot'n except my bus pass so i have to pay cash.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
At various times during the dispute there has been a handful of considerate souls who wrote to the paper saying drivers should be sacked (and have them and their families suffer hardship, debt etc) for exercising their legal rights.

I'm a bit puzzled that since the city locked them out that there hasn't been a single letter in the paper about the dispute. Perhaps it's still early, but there has certainly been long enough and not a word.

I wonder why.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
I wonder if the recent name change from Codiac Transit to Codiac Transpo has some secret meaning to it.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
I posted a comment before about how these things are reported. The employer offers 3% and the union demands 5%. The employer is benevolently offering help and the union demands something more.

How different it would look if the union offered to accept 5% but the employer demanded they accept 3%.

See how it's not a level playing field?

Here's another thing that's loaded onto one side. The union has to vote on a strike. It's the law. Having voted in favour (92% was it?) they then have to give 24 hours notice of actually striking.

Yet the employer can lock them out and cancel the service with zero notice. And perhaps no vote either.

And people think unons have too much power.  ::)

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #234 on: July 03, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »
I wonder if the recent name change from Codiac Transit to Codiac Transpo has some secret meaning to it.

You tell me....

Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English  (noun and v.) < Latin tr?nsitus  a going across, passage, equivalent to tr?nsi-,  variant stem of tr?ns?re  to cross ( tr?ns- trans-  + -?re  to go) + -tus  suffix of v. action

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #235 on: July 03, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
I was in Victoria Park earlier and I never realized how many trucks go up and down Weldon Street. Everytime I heard one I automatically looked to see which bus was coming.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2012, 12:27:23 AM »
Moncton bus dispute heading to conciliation

City locked out 90 transit workers last week

CBC News  Jul 3, 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/07/03/nb-codiac-transpo-conciliation-1204.html

Moncton and the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1290 will be meeting with a conciliator next week in the hopes of ending the week-old lockout.

Paul Thomson, a spokesman for the city, said he’s hopeful the meeting with the conciliator will bring an end to the contract dispute.

“We are not close in terms of where we need to be with regards to wages and language. But again, this is a first step and it's a necessary first step,” he said.

“We can't come to a resolution of this without meeting, so in that sense it's positive but there are some miles, some ground that has to be covered to get something done for sure.”

The sides haven't had any discussions since April, when the Amalgamated Transit Union workers voted to strike.

Representatives from the union could not be reached for comment on the latest development in the dispute.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
I feal bad for the poor guy who had the old clunker of a vehicle. Somebody convinced him to sign it over and get a year's Codiac transportation. It was a bit inconvenient, as he could go less places, but would save him a lot of money in the long run. Now he has no vehicle, no busses, lost his job, his wife moved out, and soon he will be evicted. I suppose he can't ask for his old clunker back so he can find a new job, look for a new apartment, and start dating again.*

*Legal Disclaimer...The above story is not fact but purely fiction. It is only created to illistrate the point that this whole situation could effect people a lot harder than the major inconvenience it causes most of us.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:59:30 PM by willie c wuddle »

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »
BREAK THE UNION .....
 there demands are foolish

BIGOTRY
RACIST

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
BREAK THE UNION .....
 their offers are foolish

Break the union, notme? I didn't think you had such a contempt for democracy at work  ;)