Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: Codiac Transit / Transpo  (Read 32734 times)

Offline Acadiaman

• Regs
  • Go Montreal. Beat Toronto. Yay.
Re: Codiac Transit / Transpo
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
I get mad for no bus. i call a taxi and the bus driver is driving the taxi. He dot'n except my bus pass so i have to pay cash.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
At various times during the dispute there has been a handful of considerate souls who wrote to the paper saying drivers should be sacked (and have them and their families suffer hardship, debt etc) for exercising their legal rights.

I'm a bit puzzled that since the city locked them out that there hasn't been a single letter in the paper about the dispute. Perhaps it's still early, but there has certainly been long enough and not a word.

I wonder why.
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
I wonder if the recent name change from Codiac Transit to Codiac Transpo has some secret meaning to it.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
I posted a comment before about how these things are reported. The employer offers 3% and the union demands 5%. The employer is benevolently offering help and the union demands something more.

How different it would look if the union offered to accept 5% but the employer demanded they accept 3%.

See how it's not a level playing field?

Here's another thing that's loaded onto one side. The union has to vote on a strike. It's the law. Having voted in favour (92% was it?) they then have to give 24 hours notice of actually striking.

Yet the employer can lock them out and cancel the service with zero notice. And perhaps no vote either.

And people think unons have too much power.  ::)

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Regs
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #234 on: July 03, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »
I wonder if the recent name change from Codiac Transit to Codiac Transpo has some secret meaning to it.

You tell me....

Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English  (noun and v.) < Latin tr?nsitus  a going across, passage, equivalent to tr?nsi-,  variant stem of tr?ns?re  to cross ( tr?ns- trans-  + -?re  to go) + -tus  suffix of v. action

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #235 on: July 03, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
I was in Victoria Park earlier and I never realized how many trucks go up and down Weldon Street. Everytime I heard one I automatically looked to see which bus was coming.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Regs
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2012, 12:27:23 AM »
Moncton bus dispute heading to conciliation

City locked out 90 transit workers last week

CBC News  Jul 3, 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/07/03/nb-codiac-transpo-conciliation-1204.html

Moncton and the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1290 will be meeting with a conciliator next week in the hopes of ending the week-old lockout.

Paul Thomson, a spokesman for the city, said he’s hopeful the meeting with the conciliator will bring an end to the contract dispute.

“We are not close in terms of where we need to be with regards to wages and language. But again, this is a first step and it's a necessary first step,” he said.

“We can't come to a resolution of this without meeting, so in that sense it's positive but there are some miles, some ground that has to be covered to get something done for sure.”

The sides haven't had any discussions since April, when the Amalgamated Transit Union workers voted to strike.

Representatives from the union could not be reached for comment on the latest development in the dispute.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
I feal bad for the poor guy who had the old clunker of a vehicle. Somebody convinced him to sign it over and get a year's Codiac transportation. It was a bit inconvenient, as he could go less places, but would save him a lot of money in the long run. Now he has no vehicle, no busses, lost his job, his wife moved out, and soon he will be evicted. I suppose he can't ask for his old clunker back so he can find a new job, look for a new apartment, and start dating again.*

*Legal Disclaimer...The above story is not fact but purely fiction. It is only created to illistrate the point that this whole situation could effect people a lot harder than the major inconvenience it causes most of us.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:59:30 PM by willie c wuddle »

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »
BREAK THE UNION .....
 there demands are foolish

BIGOTRY
   a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
BREAK THE UNION .....
 their offers are foolish

Break the union, notme? I didn't think you had such a contempt for democracy at work  ;)