Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: Food bank problems  (Read 875 times)

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
Food bank problems
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »
Interesting article in the T&T today about problems facing the food banks. Apparently they've not been so short of food as now.

Oddly there was a reference to summer coming and that means "more people passing through Monctonm so even more people visiting food banks."

I was a bit puzzled by this. I'm not suggesting people in need should be turned away just because they're not local but earlier in the report there was mention of how all the recipients have to go through a screening process and that they all go on a register that all the food banks access to ensure they're not getting supplies for a period they already had stuff.

How can you properly screen someone passing through? How can you "register" them to avoid duplicate food packages? What do you give them if they have no cooking and storage facilities or even utensils?

It sounds like it's more difficult for those with a local connection.
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
Re: Food bank problems
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »
I don't see how anybody "passing through" can get something at a food bank. I always thought you had to live in a certain area to go to a food bank. I once had to change food banks because they changed the zone line and I lived one street past it.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »
I don't see how anybody "passing through" can get something at a food bank. I always thought you had to live in a certain area to go to a food bank.

Yep, that too. Although I remember reading something along those lines.
But maybe they do it according to where someone is physically sleeping; a derelict house? Staying with a friend but having to supply their own food or something like that?

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 07:49:17 AM »
A couple of years back there were people going from food bank to food bank and getting lots of extra food. Asking for ID and zoning the food banks helps the needy instead of the greedy.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
I seem to recall me and notme had a few posts on this very subject some time ago.

His experience didn't match the information I'd received from one of the food banks.

So either there had been a change in policy/procedure or there was an inconsistency from one to another, meaning someone would be eligible from one bank but not another for a different area.

The whole system - not just food banks, but the welfare system too - just seems a bit inadequate to me.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »
I once heard a lady complain about waiting a half hour to get food at a food bank. I felt like telling her the wait at Sobeys was only 29 1/2 minutes and maybe she should "buy" her groceries there. As she looked like John Wayne I decided to keep quiet as she filled her bags and pockets with whatever she could carry.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »
I once heard a lady complain about waiting a half hour to get food at a food bank.

That reminds me of my old job Basically we're paying people while they're either out of work, unable to work or retired. They give you their query and if it's specific, they'll need to wait for an answer (unless they don't mind a postal reply or phone call) and then it's an indignant "well how long will it be, I haven't got all day" and you think yes you have, you have all day and every day.

Obviously some will have somewhere to be - medical appointment etc but you have to wonder why someone comes in when they don't have the time to do what they call for and how come so many always have somewhere else they have to be.

The reverse of that is when you do phone them they're never bloody in!

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56:34 PM »
food banks are very useful for some but mostly the ones that abuse the system ..    these ones for some reason gets more than others (usually because they are friends or related to the volunteers)

and now with the p[roof of a city address only  you will get minimum groceries .....then have to fill a form stating your earnings and your expenses   to see if you need the food (or help budgeting  this part was not included)

BIGOTRY
   a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .