Moncton Forums - Come Chat With Us!

Author Topic: What am I missing?  (Read 398 times)

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
What am I missing?
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
In the T&T today was an article about polite drivers in this part of the world and how it could be a problem when a not so polite driver comes on the scene.

I'm not sure that the answer is for everyone to become rude, but there you go.

Anyway, there was a reference to "staged collisions" where someone waves a driver on, only to speed up and ram him, claiming insurance.

It said Fraudsters have been successful and these incidents are being investigated.

That comment (fraudsters have been successful) suggest that usually they're not.

Now, what am I missing? You stage an "accident" that damages your car and then you succeed in portraying yourself as innocent so that you win the claim that pays for the damage you caused. Where's the gain?

I can imagine you might already have some damage and by staging a further accident and claimimg that damage was in the new accident that you might then get it repaired at no cost.

But it seems risky given that success seems to be in the minority of cases. In the same way a fire investigation would reveal arson, I imagine a similar investigation would conclude the (original) damage was not consistent with the new accident.

It really doesn't seem worth it. And yet it was described as almost an epidemic in Ontario, so something must work.

my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Re: What am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
I don't think Ontario has a insurance cap like NB does, so if not there is big money in lawsuits and such.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
Re: What am I missing?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:43:14 PM »
I don't think Ontario has a insurance cap like NB does, so if not there is big money in lawsuits and such.

Well I wondered about that, but the report just seemed to apply to insurance claims as it said the IBC was investigating. If there were lawsuits, I would think some other body was investigating.

Could it be that no insurance cap enables a new vehicle to be covered? But even then, doesn't that involve an adjuster or something to confirm it was a write off rath than a friendly garage mechanic?
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/