Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: Codiac RCMP shoot small bear shot in downtown Moncton  (Read 722 times)

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Codiac RCMP shoot small bear shot in downtown Moncton
« on: June 14, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
Codiac RCMP shoot small bear shot in downtown Moncton

DNR officials deemed it a safety hazard

CBC News  June 14, 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/06/14/nb-bear-moncton-shot-john.html

A small black bear was shot in downtown Moncton Wednesday night by Department of Natural Resources officials.

The bear, which was about the size of a German Shepherd, was deemed to be a safety hazard to the residential neighbourhood, said spokeswoman Anne Bull.

But some area residents are questioning whether the animal needed to be killed.

Conservation officers arrived at 210 John St., about 10 p.m., where a small crowd of people had gathered behind the office building to watch the bear.

"At first it was just a bunch of flashlights going through the lot and they seemed to be focused on one area,” said Susan Lirette, who lives nearby.

“Then we saw a police officer get his rifle out of the car; I guess his shotgun. And shortly after, there was a shot,” she said.

The decision of what action to take is at the discretion of the DNR officer at the scene.

"The first option is always to chase the bear back into the woods,” said Bull.

“But in this case, it was surrounded by highways, houses and buildings,” she said. "And when bears are cornered, they tend to become vicious.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
Re: Codiac RCMP shoot small bear shot in downtown Moncton
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »
Presumably it must have come from somewhere the other side of VH Boulevard.

How does it get so far without being seen? It's not exactly the middle of the night.

Or is it that some people did see it but weren't concerned?
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »
"Codiac RCMP shoot small bear shot in downtown Moncton"

Why would they shoot a small bear that was already shot?

In all seriousness keep one thing in mind. As cities get bigger Mother Nature's property gets smaller. It can only be squeezed so far. If it ever becomes a full scale conflict between man and Mother Nature, she will win. In all fairness I will say women will lose, too. PMS will never compete with Mother Nature. She is PMS-ier.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:04:05 AM »
"Codiac RCMP shoot small bear shot in downtown Moncton"

Why would they shoot a small bear that was already shot?

Reminds me of some sports commentaries. When a player is in a position to shoot for goal but passes to a team mate instead, commentators have been known to say of the player "he should have shot himself."  :D
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
Good one. Luckilly they don't say "He should have pucked himself" when it comes to hockey. Hey Don Cherry, If you read this post and use my material you owe me a beer. Please make it a Blue. With my luck he'll hit me with a LOUD (LAW) SUIT. Hee hee.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:20:30 PM by willie c wuddle »
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy