Dan Lirette & Richard Paladin welcome you to Moncton Forums!Register today on Moncton's most active forum!

Author Topic: Weather forecast  (Read 1247 times)

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
Weather forecast
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »
Bizarre weather forecasts again this week.

Monday afternoon suggested hot Tuesday, hotter the rest of the week with the possibility of rain and thunderstorms on Weds and Friday.

That's why we decided to head to the zoo Tuesday.

By Tuesday morning, while the expected temperatures were much the same, the earliest possibility of rain or thunder was now Saturday; three days later than originally.

A few hours later on Tuesday the rain/thunder possibility is now tonight!! ???
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
Re: Weather forecast
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:24:48 AM »
Today was great, lots of sun with a nice breeze.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
Until last night we've not had thunderstorms even though they've been forecast almost every day for a couple of weeks.

Okay, to be fair, it's mainly been "chance" of thunderstorms rather than likely. But even so, there must have been ten or more chances and none taken.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
Tuesday morning I woke to news reports of heavy rain expected to start in the morning. Logging on to TWN, this was confirmed and there was actually an Environment Canada severe weather warning for high rainfall and a good chance of a thunderstorm this afternoon.

Where was it?

We delayed our plans until Wednesday. For nothing.  :(

I've said it before...the forecasting here is definitely getting worse.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:57:25 PM by BristolUK »

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
Dude, where's my car ?

photos taken in Omsk , Siberia on 4th Feb 2012

It would be an absolute bugger if you dug out the wrong car!!!

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
It would be an absolute bugger if you dug out the wrong car!!!

Although someone else may have dug yours out?

Those bleeping key things could come in handy.

Looks like a giant bar of white chocolate.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »
I wonder what's under the smaller lumps in the handicapped zones.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
I've said it before...the forecasting here is definitely getting worse.

In the last week or so we've had rainy thunderstorms forecast on three days.

We had no rain let alone thunderstorms.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:59:24 AM »
'Crippling' storm could be headed to the Maritimes

CBC meteorologist Peter Coade says his charts remind him of White Juan

CBC News , Mar 23, 2014

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/crippling-storm-could-be-headed-to-the-maritimes-1.2582858

It may be spring, but a major storm looks like it will hit the Maritimes on Wednesday, bringing with it strong winds and blizzard-like conditions to large swathes of the region.

CBC meteorologist Peter Coade says the storm could be "crippling," and might bring as much as 40 or 50 centimetres of snow.

He said when he looks at his charts it reminds him of White Juan, the enormous blizzard that swept across Atlantic Canada in 2004 and dropped a metre of snow in some areas.

Click here for full article..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/crippling-storm-could-be-headed-to-the-maritimes-1.2582858

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
Alerts for: Moncton and Southeast New Brunswick

10:32 AM ADT Monday 24 March 2014
Special weather statement in effect for:

Moncton and Southeast New Brunswick
Winter storm forecast for Wednesday.

A very intense low pressure system is forecast to track near Nova Scotia on Wednesday. Very strong winds and significant snowfall are expected with this system. The heaviest snowfall and strongest winds will affect the southeastern half of the province.

The snow is forecast to begin Wednesday morning and is expected to taper off by early Thursday morning. Strong winds are forecast to develop ahead of the system on Wednesday and persist as the system pulls away Thursday. The strong winds and snow will cause reduced visibility in blowing snow.

Although there is still considerable uncertainty with respect to exact snowfall amounts, computer models are consistently indicating significant accumulations. There is good potential for parts of Southeastern New Brunswick to see total snowfall accumulations exceeding 25 centimetres with this system.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings. Warnings will likely be issued by Tuesday morning.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »

Warnings

4:54 AM ADT Tuesday 25 March 2014

Blizzard warning in effect for:

Blizzard forecast on Wednesday.

This is a warning that blizzard conditions with near-zero visibilities are expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A very intense low pressure system is forecast to track south of Nova Scotia on Wednesday and will bring very strong winds and significant snowfall to much of New Brunswick. Over the southeastern half of the province, the strong winds and heavy snow will produce blizzard conditions.

Snow is forecast to begin Wednesday morning in Southern New Brunswick and spread northward during the day. The heaviest snow is expected in the south and east where snowfall amounts ranging from 15 to 40 centimetres are forecast. Strong northeasterly winds are forecast to develop ahead of the system on Wednesday and shift to strong northwesterlies as the system pulls away Wednesday night. The strong winds and snow will cause reduced visibility in blowing snow. Widespread whiteout conditions are expected beginning Wednesday afternoon over the southeastern half of the province.

Additionally, higher than normal water levels are forecast from Miramichi bay south to Cape Tormentine Wednesday afternoon or evening.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
TWN suggests 30-40cm for us.

But has anyone noticed that another 30-40 is due at the weekend?

:(

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
Moncton’s Weather “Bomb” preparations

March 25, 2014

MONCTON – The City of Moncton is requesting residents’ assistance in preparing for the impending major storm that will hit the area on Wednesday. Current forecasts are calling for upwards of 30 cm of snow, with wind gusts reaching 95 km/hr causing widespread whiteout conditions and extensive blowing snow.

Due to the whiteout conditions and blowing snow, near-zero visibility is expected at times during the height of the storm, and residents’ cooperation in following these steps will greatly improve snow clearing operations and ensure the public’s safety:

If it is not absolutely necessary to be out and about, please stay at home.
If you must travel, please use extreme caution, drive slowly, clear all vehicle windows and watch for pedestrians.
Refrain from parking on streets, even during the day, as the near-zero visibility will make it extremely difficult for plow operators to clear streets effectively.
Pedestrians should wear bright, visible clothing, use the sidewalks whenever possible or walk on the street - against traffic – to ensure they are seen by motorists.
Residents are encouraged to visit the City of Moncton’s Facebook or Twitter pages for the most up-to-date information.

CODIAC TRANSPO

By mid-afternoon tomorrow, the difficult weather conditions expected may impact service provided by Codiac Transpo. It is recommended to visit the City of Moncton’s Facebook or Twitter pages for the most up-to-date information, or customers can call 857-2008.

WASTE COLLECTION

Waste collection scheduled for Wednesday will likely be delayed. It is best to wait until the storm has passed and your street has been plowed before bringing out your bags to the curb or wait until the following week.

MONCTON’S SNOW PLAN

The City of Moncton’s Snow Plan prioritizes the clearing of main arteries, as well as sidewalks near hospitals and schools, within the first few hours after storm end. This week’s blizzard will present particular challenges due to the blowing snow, and residents’ assistance in clearing sidewalks in their neighbourhood is greatly appreciated. More information on the Snow Plan can be found online (http://www.moncton.ca/Residents/Snow_Clearing.htm).

REMINDER – WINTER PARKING BAN

In accordance with the City of Moncton by-law T-310, it is not permitted to park a vehicle on any Moncton street from December 1st to April 15th, between midnight and 7 a.m. This measure is done on an annual basis to allow for adequate and safe snow clearing and ice control operations.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
Storm cancellations roll in as blizzard heads for Maritimes

Several Air Canada, WestJet, Porter flights cancelled out of Halifax

CBC News , Mar 25, 2014
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/storm-cancellations-roll-in-as-blizzard-heads-for-maritimes-1.2586062

Flight cancellations have already started at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport as the Maritimes brace for a spring blizzard that could dump more than 30 centimetres of snow and bring wind gusts of more than 100 kilometres per hour.

Dozens of arriving and departing flights to and from Toronto, Ottawa and within the Maritimes on Wednesday have already been cancelled.

Forecasters say the possibility of damage is real because a storm surge will bring rising waters along the coastlines of Nova Scotia and northeastern New Brunswick — in some cases 50 to 80 centimetres higher than normal, with strong waves driving the sea into shore.

"Through much of the day, the visibility is going to be the biggest concern with prolonged whiteout conditions anticipated," said CBC meteorologist Kalin Mitchell.

Mitchell said snow will begin in the mid to late morning in southern New Brunswick and in eastern P.E.I. By the afternoon, the snow will spread to all corners of both provinces, he said.

"The south and southeast of New Brunswick, as well as western P.E.I., could see snowfall accumulations of 30 to 50 centimetres," said Mitchell.

A storm surge is possible around the Northumberland coastline of New Brunswick and ice may pile against the Gulf of St. Lawrence coastline on P.E.I. as well, said Mitchell.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/storm-cancellations-roll-in-as-blizzard-heads-for-maritimes-1.2586062

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »
8:41 am and not a snow flake in sight...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Spring blizzard bears down on Maritimes

Flights cancelled throughout the region as whiteout conditions anticipated

CBC News , Mar 26, 2014 ,5:30 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/spring-blizzard-bears-down-on-maritimes-1.2586407

Maritimers are hunkering down this morning as they await a fierce spring blizzard that is forecast to dump more than 30 centimetres of snow in some parts of the region, with storm surges that could damage coastal properties.

Preparations for the storm began early, with airports in the region cancelling dozens of flights in anticipation of whiteout conditions forecast by meteorologists.

The storm is expected to begin between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. in southwestern Nova Scotia and spread across the province by noon.

By the early afternoon, wind gusts of between 80 and 110 kilometres per hour will be "widespread" across Nova Scotia, said Mitchell.

The snow will begin in the mid to late morning in southern New Brunswick and in eastern P.E.I. By the afternoon, the snow will spread to all corners of both provinces, he said.

"The south and southeast of New Brunswick, as well as western P.E.I., could see snowfall accumulations of 30 to 50 centimetres," said Mitchell.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/spring-blizzard-bears-down-on-maritimes-1.2586407

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
It's past noon and no snow.

It's not coming after all.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »
Here it comes...Here it comesssssss

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
Lovely, just #@$%-ing lovely.

I was supposed to go for eye tests today. I hope I don't end up going snow blind.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:23:06 PM by willie c wuddle »

Offline Paladin (Site Admin)

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
Weather forecast
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
Oh the weather outside is frightful
I've no fire to be delightful
And since I've no place to go
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!!

;)

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:59 PM »
Blizzard blasts New Brunswick

Snow and high winds lead to closures, warnings

CBC News , Mar 26, 2014 , Last Updated 7:31 PM AT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/blizzard-blasts-new-brunswick-1.2586683

A much anticipated blizzard is blasting New Brunswick, bringing most services and transportation to a standstill.

Snow and high winds associated with the storm system are hitting Saint John, Moncton and Fredericton.

Blizzard warnings are in place from Woodstock to Bathurst and areas south of an imaginary line between those communities. Storm surge warnings are in place along the Northumberland Strait.

As much as 40 centimetres of snow is possible, with winds gusting up to 100 km/h.

Emergency officials are advising motorists to stay off the roads and to be prepared for the risk of flooding and possible power outages.

Whiteout conditions have forced the closure of Highway 2 between Moncton and the Nova Scotia border and Highway 104 between Truro and the New Brunswick border.

Even the Department of Transportation has pulled its plows from the Trans-Canada Highway, along Route 15, between Moncton and Shediac, due to whiteout conditions.

More than 500 NB Power customers are currently without power, primarily in the St. Stephen region.

NB Power crews are positioned across the province, ready to deal with outages, said spokesperson Meghan Gerrish.

Public transit buses in Saint John and Moncton were pulled out of service early and the last Fredericton Transit bus was scheduled to make its last run from Kings Place at 5:15 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/blizzard-blasts-new-brunswick-1.2586683

Tonight

Snow at times heavy changing to flurries overnight. Amount 10 to 20 cm. Blowing snow. Wind northeast 60 km/h gusting to 90 becoming north 70 gusting to 110 early this evening. Low minus 7.

Thursday

Flurries ending in the morning then clearing. Local blowing snow in the morning and early in the afternoon. Wind northwest 50 km/h gusting to 80. High minus 1. UV index 4 or moderate

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
Winter not done: more bad weather on way for Maritimes

Messy mix of ice pellets, freezing rain, rain and snow headed to Canada's East Coast

CBC News , Mar 28, 2014

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/winter-not-done-more-bad-weather-on-way-for-maritimes-1.2589912

Just days after Atlantic Canada was shut down by a spring blizzard, another wild weather system is making its way to the Maritimes.

Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement for all three Maritime provinces.

A low pressure system approaching from the U.S. East Coast late on Saturday is expected to pass slowly south of Nova Scotia on Sunday and Monday.

The precipitation produced by the system is expected to begin as freezing rain or ice pellets early Sunday across northern Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island before changing to rain. The rest of Nova Scotia will get a soaking from rain that is expected to be heavy at times.

Northern New Brunswick will likely get snow while the southern parts of the province can expect a messy mix of ice pellets, rain and freezing rain.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/winter-not-done-more-bad-weather-on-way-for-maritimes-1.2589912

5:22 PM ADT Friday 28 March 2014
Special weather statement in effect for:

A slow moving weather system will bring rain and a wintery mix of weather for Sunday and Monday.

A low pressure system approaching from the U.S. East Coast late on Saturday will slowly pass south of Nova Scotia on Sunday and Monday.

The precipitation associated with this system is likely to begin as snow early Sunday morning for most of Northern New Brunswick while southern regions will see a mixture of rain, ice pellets and freezing rain. Later on Sunday the precipitation over the southern half of the province will likely change to rain while northern regions will see a mixture of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain. As the system pulls away on Monday the precipitation should change to snow for most areas before ending late in the day.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »

Warnings

4:38 AM ADT Sunday 30 March 2014
Freezing rain warning in effect for:

Extended period of freezing rain today and Monday.

This is a warning that an extended period of freezing rain is expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system developing over the Southeastern United States will drift northeastward today and Monday. Precipitation has already begun over extreme southern sections and will spread northward this morning and then persist into Monday evening. Generally heavy snow and blowing snow is expected over Northern New Brunswick with a mixture of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain expected over central regions. Over the south generally rain or freezing rain is expected but this will become ice pellets later on Monday. Due to the slow movement of this system all precipitation forms will give significant accumulations over their respective regions. Total snowfall of up to 45 centimetres is expected in the north while many hours and significant accumulation of freezing rain and ice pellets are expected over central and southern regions. Additionally up to 55 millimetres of rain is expected over southern regions.

4:38 AM ADT Sunday 30 March 2014
Rainfall warning in effect for:

Up to 55 millimetres of rain expected.

This is a warning that significant rainfall is occurring in this region. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system developing over the Southeastern United States will drift northeastward today and Monday. Precipitation has already begun over extreme southern sections and will spread northward this morning and then persist into Monday evening. Generally heavy snow and blowing snow is expected over Northern New Brunswick with a mixture of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain expected over central regions. Over the south generally rain or freezing rain is expected but this will become ice pellets later on Monday. Due to the slow movement of this system all precipitation forms will give significant accumulations over their respective regions. Total snowfall of up to 45 centimetres is expected in the north while many hours and significant accumulation of freezing rain and ice pellets are expected over central and southern regions. Additionally up to 55 millimetres of rain is expected over southern regions.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
New Brunswick battered by storm for second straight day

NB Power reports almost 18,000 without electricity, with Shediac and Bouctouche areas hardest hit

CBC News , Mar 31, 2014

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/new-brunswick-battered-by-storm-for-second-straight-day-1.2592366

March is going out like a lion in New Brunswick as a slow-moving storm system dumps a mix of snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and rain on the province for a second straight day.

Weather warnings are in place for all but the northwest of the province, with an additional 25 centimetres of a winter mix of snow and ice pellets possible in some areas.

Almost 18,000 customers were affected by NB Power outages by mid-morning Monday, up from about 12,000 at dawn.

The Shediac and Bouctouche areas were hardest hit, with more than 8,000 customers in each area without electricity.

Environment Canada storm warnings advise that another 15 to 25 centimetres of ice pellets and an extended period of freezing rain is expected Monday.

"Generally heavy snow and blowing snow is occurring over northeastern New Brunswick with a mixture of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain over central regions. Over the south freezing rain or rain is occurring over most areas," states Environment Canada.

"The freezing rain and rain will gradually change to ice pellets later today then to snow this evening.

"Due to the slow movement of this system all precipitation forms will give significant accumulations over their respective regions. Many hours and significant accumulation of freezing rain and ice pellets are expected over central and southern regions today."

CBC meteorologist Peter Coade said the weather system could affect the province for another day or two.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/new-brunswick-battered-by-storm-for-second-straight-day-1.2592366

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »

Warnings

10:50 AM ADT Monday 31 March 2014

Winter storm warning in effect for:

Heavy snow giving a further 15 to 25 centimetres ice pellets and an extended period of freezing rain expected today and tonight.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system south of Nova Scotia will continue to drift slowly eastward today and Tuesday. Generally heavy snow and blowing snow is occurring over Northeastern New Brunswick with a mixture of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain over central regions. Over the south freezing rain or rain is occurring over most areas. The freezing rain and rain will gradually change to ice pellets later today then to snow this evening. Due to the slow movement of this system all precipitation forms will give significant accumulations over their respective regions. Many hours and significant accumulation of freezing rain and ice pellets are expected over central and southern regions today. A further 10 to 15 millimetres of rain is forecast over Grand Manan Island today. Further snowfall amounts of 15 to 25 centimetres is expected over eastern regions of New Brunswick by Tuesday morning.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »
Ice storm leaves thousands without power in New Brunswick

NB Power official says it could be Friday before electricity is restored to all in southeast

CBC News , Apr 01, 2014

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/ice-storm-leaves-thousands-without-power-in-new-brunswick-1.2593738

About 19,000 NB Power customers are without electricity — many of them for a second straight day — as a result of a slow-moving winter storm that has dumped snow and ice pellets on New Brunswick and coated some areas in a thick layer of freezing rain.

NB Power spokesperson Meghan Gerrish said it could be Thursday or Friday before electricity is restored to all customers, especially those in the southeast of the province.

"We really need people to make informed decisions about their homes and their families in those affected areas to insure their safety and comfort and quality of life," said Gerrish.

The bulk of the almost 19,000 NB Power outages is in the southeastern part of the province, with about 8,100 customers in the Shediac area, 7,700 customers in the Bouctouche area and more than 2,600 customers in Moncton without electricity.

The New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization has opened five warming centres for people with no power in the Shediac and Bouctouche areas.

The centres are located at the Hotel Shediac, the J.K. Irving Centre in Bouctouche, the former Rainbow Club in Beaubassin-Est, the Pointe-du-Chêne Community Centre and the Cocagne fire hall.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/ice-storm-leaves-thousands-without-power-in-new-brunswick-1.2593738

Warnings

4:56 AM ADT Tuesday 01 April 2014
Winter storm warning in effect for:

Periods of snow, strong northerly winds and blowing snow this morning.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system south of Nova Scotia will continue to drift slowly eastward today.

Snow and blowing snow will gradually diminish this morning.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
Snow and blowing snow will gradually diminish this morning.

Yeah, right......

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »
N.B. ice storm power outages may last until Saturday for some

NB Power crews working as quickly as possible in difficult conditions, official says

CBC News , Apr 01, 2014

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/ice-storm-power-outages-may-last-until-saturday-for-some-1.2593738

Ongoing power outages in New Brunswick are sparking frustration among some NB Power customers.

About 16,000 homes and businesses were still without electricity — many of them for a second straight day — by early Tuesday evening, as a result of a slow-moving winter storm that dumped snow and ice pellets on New Brunswick and coated some areas in a thick layer of freezing rain.

NB Power spokesperson Meghan Gerrish said it could be Saturday before electricity is restored to all customers, especially those in the southeast of the province.

The majority of the NB Power outages are in the southeastern part of the province, with about 8,000 customers in the Bouctouche area, 5,400 customers in the Shediac area, and about 2,500 in the Moncton area.

"We’ve got 100 crews working to restore power as quickly as possible," Gerrish told CBC News.

"There are lines on the ground, there are power poles that are snapped in half, it’s very complex restoration work," she said.

"Unfortunately the restoration effort will continue until about Saturday for some customers — although we hope to have the bulk of customers restored before then."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/ice-storm-power-outages-may-last-until-saturday-for-some-1.2593738

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
Weather forecast
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »

Warnings

3:14 PM ADT Monday 07 April 2014

Rainfall warning in effect for:Moncton and Southeast New Brunswick

Rain at times heavy giving up to 50 millimetres on Tuesday.

This is a warning that significant rainfall is expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A developing low pressure system will pass south of the Great Lakes this evening then intensify as it continues northeastward on Tuesday to cross Northern New Brunswick Tuesday evening. As this system approaches the Maritimes on Tuesday it will push a strong warm front into the region which will bring rain at times heavy along with milder temperatures.

Most of Central and Southern New Brunswick will see 25 to 40 millimetres of rain except along the Fundy coast where 40 to 50 millimetres are possible. Embedded thundershowers are also possible in these areas later in the day.

It is possible this rainfall warning may need to be extended to Northern New Brunswick if this system intensifies slightly more than is currently anticipated, tracks further north, or if the heavier rain continues into Tuesday night.