blocked
Moncton Forums - Come Chat With Us!

Author Topic: Out of Ottawa  (Read 17230 times)

Offline Paladin (Site Admin)

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
Re: Well it's official. We're having a spring Federal Election.
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »

MonctonForum.com helping you make an 'intelligent' ( fair, balanced and unbiased)  decision as to how to vote.  ;)

The Riddle

Jack Layton  met with the Queen of England.

He asked her, "Your Majesty, how do you run such an efficient government? Are there any tips you can give to me in case I
form the next government of Canada?"

"Well," said the Queen, "the most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people."

Layton frowned, and then asked, "But how do I know if the people around me are really intelligent? "

The Queen took a sip of tea. "Oh, that's easy, you just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle".
"The Queen pushed a button on her intercom. "Please send Tony Blair in here, would you?"

Tony Blair walked into the room and said,"Yes, my Queen?"

The Queen smiled and said, "Answer me this please, Tony,- your mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your sister. Who is it?"

Without pausing for a moment, Tony Blair answered, "That would be me."

"Yes! Very good," said the Queen.

Layton went back home to ask Mike Ignatief, his Liberal cohort.
"Answer this for me Iggy; Your mother and your father have a child. It's not your brother and it's not your sister. Who is it?"

"I'm not sure," said Iggy. "Let me get back to you on that one.."
He went to his advisors and asked every one, but none could give him an answer.
Finally, he ended up in the men's room and recognized Steven Harpers shoes in the next stall.

Iggy asked Harper, "Steve, can you answer this for me? Your mother and father have a child and it's not your brother or your sister.
Who is it?"
Harper answered back, "That's easy you dummy, it's me!"

Iggy smiled, and said, "Thanks!" Then, he went back to speak with Layton ."Say, I did some research and I have the answer to that riddle. It is Steven Harper".

Layton got mad and yelled "No you idiot, it is not!  It's Tony Blair"!

With thanks to member JB , who sadly never Posts

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »
http://metromonctonnews.com/?p=3476

Green Party pamphlets tossed away by Liberal Joe Volpe’s handler

Toronto Liberal ‘Handler’ photographed tossing Green flyers into trash

Veteran Liberal MP Joe Volpe fires his ‘Handler’ after photos released of both on campaign trail

By VICTORIA PTASHNICK, Special to QMI Agency / 2011 04 25

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/CanadaVotes/News/2011/04/25/18064036.html

TORONTO – Veteran Liberal MP Joe Volpe has reportedly fired one of his campaign workers for removing Green Party literature and replacing it with Liberal literature.

The event was allegedly caught in a series of photographs by the campaign manager for Paul Baker, the Green Party candidate in Volpe’s Eglinton-Lawrence riding.

Green supporter Orla Hegarty said she had just finished four hours of canvassing when she noticed Volpe and his campaign worker across the street from where she was getting into her car.

She said the campaign worker placed the literature she had just put in someone’s mailbox into a nearby recycling bin. Hegarty added she photographed what was happening.

Photographs show Volpe and his campaign worker knocking on doors.

The photos show a Green Party pamphlet hanging out of the mailbox at one front door. It shows the mailbox empty, then replaced with a red flyer featuring Liberal literature when the campaign worker walks by.

According to Hegarty, the longtime MP shrugged as if he didn’t know what she was talking about and then she informed him she had pictures.

Volpe has denied knowledge of the campaign worker’s actions.

Hegerty has contacted Elections Canada and filed a complaint.

Offline irishrick

• Regs
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »
I think I've seen that post somewhere before

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »

Layton found naked in Toronto bawdy house in 1996 by police

April 30, 2011
By Sam Pazzano, QMI Agency
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/04/29/18085936.html

TORONTO - Jack Layton was found laying naked on a bed by Toronto Police at a suspected Chinatown bawdy house in 1996, a retired Toronto police officer told the Toronto Sun.

The stunning revelation about the current leader of the New Democratic Party comes days before the federal election at a time when his popularity is soaring.

When the policeman and his partner walked into a second-floor room at the Toronto massage parlour, they saw an attractive 5-foot-10 Asian woman who was in her mid-20s and the married, then-Metro councillor, lying on his back in bed.

Layton was cautioned by police and released without being charged.

Olivia Chow, Layton's wife, denied her husband had done anything wrong in an e-mail statement late Friday night.

"I knew about this appointment, as I always do."

In a letter from his lawyer, Layton recalls "being advised by police at the time that he did nothing wrong."

What police say happened on Jan. 9, 1996, was recorded in the former cop's notebook, which was reviewed and photocopied by the Toronto Sun.

The former Asian crime unit officer, who requested anonymity, details a prior police raid on the "premise currently ID as a bawdy house" looking for underage Asian hookers and a subsequent follow-up visit to the two-storey brick storefront on Jan. 9.

At first the policemen didn't realize they were interviewing one of the best-known Toronto politicians who was married to Chow, also a Metro councillor and now the incumbent NDP MP for Trinity-Spadina.

The officer's notebook indicates he asked the suspected john: "Did you receive any sexual services?"

He replied: "No sir, I was just getting a shiatsu."

The cop: "Why did you have all your clothes off?"

The suspected john: No answer.

The cop: "Are you aware that there were sex acts being done here?"

The suspected john: "No sir."

The woman, who was from mainland China, denied masturbating the suspected john but when the question was repeated became nervous and replied, "I don't know I only come to work today," the cop's notes show.

His notes also claim he saw the "female dump wet Kleenex into garbage."

In the interview with the Sun, the officer said: "I asked him for his wallet and I looked at his name and I looked at the last name and it looked familiar. He's registered as 'John' and I thought he's a 'john.'"

Layton's Christian name is John.

"I explained to him this was a bawdy house and then I asked him the silliest question, 'Are you any relation to the councillor, Jack Layton?' and ... he had that defeated look on his face and he said, 'We are one in the same,'" the ex-cop said.

The former officer said Layton, seemed quiet and mellow and denied that he knew it was a suspected bawdy house.

The police had to decide what to do with the controversial councillor.

"To have arrested him and charged him would have served our egos a lot more. Layton was a thorn in the side of the police, siding with the anti-poverty movement in '96 or '97 ... Jack was anti-police," the ex-cop said.

"We looked at it and thought do we take advantage of this, or do we look at this like (he's) any other person, put it away and we hope this thing dies a slow death."

In the end, they came to the conclusion they shouldn't charge him.

"If we had barged in and he was engaged in a sex act and we had plainly saw it, then it would have been a different story."

The officers said police filled out a suspect investigation card that recorded his name, address, date of birth -- July 18, 1950 -- height and weight.

That information would be filed away by a civilian administrator for crime analysts to use in tracking criminals with particular attributes.

The former cop is surprised it took so long for the incident to become public.

"This stuff was never leaked out back then. The professionalism was outstanding. I thought this would have come out. This thing within the circle was so well known."

The policemen warned the councillor about the dangers of hanging out in suspected bawdy houses that could be run by Asian triads.

"I remembered lecturing him on a lot of these triads, they'd videotape the customers and extort them afterwards. Jack went pale. I said to him you have to understand it's quite possible," he says.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
    • my world and welcome to it - a blog
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
That should increase his popularity then.  ;)
my world and welcome to it - a blog
http://monctonia-times.blogspot.com/

Offline irishrick

• Regs
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
Ontario police launch criminal probe into Layton leak

A criminal breach of trust investigation has been launched into a police leak that revealed a 1996 conversation between NDP Leader Jack Layton and a vice squad officer at a Toronto massage parlour.
The information became public on Friday after an unnamed police source told a Sun Media reporter about the 15-year-old incident, which occurred when Layton was a Toronto city councillor.
Layton and his wife, Toronto NDP candidate Olivia Chow, have said that nothing illicit occurred, and that Layton was simply getting a massage as part of his regular fitness regimen.
Chow said that the release of the information is part of a smear campaign to discredit Layton, who has been enjoying an unprecedented surge of popularity.
Nationally, the NDP stand in second place only days ahead of the May 2 vote, according to polling numbers.
CTV News confirmed Saturday that Toronto police have asked the Ontario Provincial Police to undertake an investigation into the leak. In such cases, outside police forces are often brought in due to conflict of interest concerns.
It's believed that the information was gleaned from a Toronto officer's notes, which are considered police property. Since officer's notes often contain sensitive and unproven impressions about investigations, notes are kept as internal, guarded documents.
Toronto police spokesperson Mark Pugash said he would not comment on the case specifically, since it was now a criminal investigation.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110430/opp-launch-breach-probe-into-layton-leak-110430/

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2011, 12:31:14 AM »
I'll bet the whole incident really rubbed him the wrong way.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »
Update: 11:50 ast

Majority  possible

CTV projection: Tory gov't, NDP Official Opposition

Tories retain power, NDP to form opposition, CBC projects

Murphy trailing by 2,000 votes,

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »
CANADA IS RUINED  THE FOOLS ARE STILL IN POWER AND ON MAJORITY

BIGOTRY
   a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 11:57:15 PM »
Update: 11:58

Party Leaders
Duceppe, Gilles    LOL
Trailing

Ignatieff, Michael  LOL
Trailing

Layton, Jack 
Elected

Harper, Stephen J  He's the MAN
Elected

May, Elizabeth

Update: 11:50 ast

Majority  possible

CTV projection: Tory gov't, NDP Official Opposition

Tories retain power, NDP to form opposition, CBC projects

Murphy trailing by 2,000 votes,

Offline Notme

• I AM A BILINGUAL CANADIAN BUT STILL HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET GOVERNMENT JOBSand get pick on for being of French ancestry
  • Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »
Update: 11:58

Party Leaders
Duceppe, Gilles    LOL
Trailing

Ignatieff, Michael  LOL
Trailing

Layton, Jack 
Elected

Harper, Stephen J  HE IS THE RUINATION OF CANADA
Elected

May, Elizabeth

BIGOTRY
RACIST
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. .

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »
12:15 ast

CTV is projecting a Majority Conservative Government...

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 12:26:48 AM »
 :-[ it the end of freedom in Canada , it the beginning of recession , it the terror reign  coming to Canada

BIGOTRY
RACIST

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »
12:30 ast

12:15 ast

Majority Conservative Government...

MonctonForum projects:

Moncton-Riverview -Dieppe Liberal MP Brian Murphy...

going

going

GONE

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:50 AM »
I think I might have voted for Murphy if Ignatieff didn't come along with the package deal.
 If yoo can brrrrew scottish whiskey in yourrr bagpipes, then yourr're a Plaidneck, laddie. - Jeff Scotsworthy     

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
Regarding The Bloc's vote tumbling: I don't know whether I should laugh or what.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
If I knew there was a Block Party I would have voted for it. Block parties can be a lot of fun.

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »
Let's have a block party.

Offline BristolUK

• Regs
  • Gently Insane
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »
I think you should lego of that idea.

Offline sherry boyle

• Regs
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »
I know that you shouldn't call your constituency office in Quebec and expect to  be served in French... :D

• Administrator
  • www.monctonforums.com
    • Monctonforums
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2011, 01:03:09 AM »
I guess that it's been clean up week already for our ex members of parliament...

MPs Cash in on $116 million in Pension & Severance Bonanza

OTTAWA, ON: The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) today released its calculations of estimated pension and severance payments paid to the 113 MPs who were either defeated or did not seek re-election in the May 2, 2011 general election. Defeated and retiring MPs will collect $4.9 million in pension payments in their first year, reaching a cumulative total of $111.5 million by age 80. In addition, another $4.3 million in severance cheques will be issued to former MPs. The pension and severance calculations for individual MPs are available HERE.

“While many MPs went down to defeat last night, most are still  big winners,” said CTF National Research Director Derek Fildebrandt. “Even though losing an election can be hard, MPs should find a nice soft landing with their ‘golden parachute.’”

Seventeen  former MPs will gather more than $100,000-plus a year in pension income including: Peter Milliken ($147K), Gilles Duceppe ($141K), Joe Volpe ($120K), and Jean-Pierre Blackburn ($106K).

As for the lifetime sweepstakes (estimated benefits to age 80) 5 MPs enter the  $3-million dollar-plus club including:  Keith Martin ($3.9 million), Albina Guarnieri ($3.8 million), Jay Hill ($3.3 million), Chuck Strahl ($3.3 million) and Michel  Guimond ($3 million). An additional 19 MPs will receive more than $2 million before reaching age 80.

The CTF supports a reasonable pension plan and severance package for MPs commensurate with norms in the private sector. Since it’s founding in 1990, the CTF has consistently advocated for the introduction of a matching dollar-for-dollar defined-contribution pension plan – as the CTF successfully campaigned for in Saskatchewan and Ontario. The current federal defined-benefit pension plan requires taxpayers to cough up $4 for every $1 contributed by an MP.

Fildebrandt stated, “The vast majority of Canadians working in the private sector have no private pension plan of their own and those few who do, normally have defined-contribution, RRSP-style plans. Most Canadians have to save for their retirements the old-fashion way. MPs by contrast are guaranteed a steady payout regardless of how investments and the market perform.”

Defeated or retiring MPs are eligible to collect a fully-indexed pension at age 55 if they have served at least 6 years in the House of Commons. MPs who have not served the minimum years and receive no pension collect a severance equal to 50 per cent of their total salary. Former MPs who are eligible for a pension but have not reached the age of 55 are entitled to both a severance and pension.   If a member turns 55 years old within six months of being eligible for a pension, a reduced severance cheque is paid to them. Lump sum severance payments range from a low of $78,866 to a high of $116,624 – a figure paid out to defeated Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff and several ministers.

Brian Murphy just missed out on his 6 years for that fantastic pension that you and I can only dream about.

He does however walk away with a lovely 'Parting Gift'..of $ 78,866 to help him make that financially difficult  return to full time practice of law.

Anything  less than that and I'm sure we'd see him at the local food banks and soup kitchens.

Offline Dan Lirette

• Dan Lirette
  • Administrator
  • Dan Lirette
    • Moncton Web Development
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
I guess that it's been clean up week already for our ex members of parliament...

MPs Cash in on $116 million in Pension & Severance Bonanza

OTTAWA, ON: The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) today released its calculations of estimated pension and severance payments paid to the 113 MPs who were either defeated or did not seek re-election in the May 2, 2011 general election. Defeated and retiring MPs will collect $4.9 million in pension payments in their first year, reaching a cumulative total of $111.5 million by age 80. In addition, another $4.3 million in severance cheques will be issued to former MPs. The pension and severance calculations for individual MPs are available HERE.

“While many MPs went down to defeat last night, most are still  big winners,” said CTF National Research Director Derek Fildebrandt. “Even though losing an election can be hard, MPs should find a nice soft landing with their ‘golden parachute.’”

Seventeen  former MPs will gather more than $100,000-plus a year in pension income including: Peter Milliken ($147K), Gilles Duceppe ($141K), Joe Volpe ($120K), and Jean-Pierre Blackburn ($106K).

As for the lifetime sweepstakes (estimated benefits to age 80) 5 MPs enter the  $3-million dollar-plus club including:  Keith Martin ($3.9 million), Albina Guarnieri ($3.8 million), Jay Hill ($3.3 million), Chuck Strahl ($3.3 million) and Michel  Guimond ($3 million). An additional 19 MPs will receive more than $2 million before reaching age 80.

The CTF supports a reasonable pension plan and severance package for MPs commensurate with norms in the private sector. Since it’s founding in 1990, the CTF has consistently advocated for the introduction of a matching dollar-for-dollar defined-contribution pension plan – as the CTF successfully campaigned for in Saskatchewan and Ontario. The current federal defined-benefit pension plan requires taxpayers to cough up $4 for every $1 contributed by an MP.

Fildebrandt stated, “The vast majority of Canadians working in the private sector have no private pension plan of their own and those few who do, normally have defined-contribution, RRSP-style plans. Most Canadians have to save for their retirements the old-fashion way. MPs by contrast are guaranteed a steady payout regardless of how investments and the market perform.”

Defeated or retiring MPs are eligible to collect a fully-indexed pension at age 55 if they have served at least 6 years in the House of Commons. MPs who have not served the minimum years and receive no pension collect a severance equal to 50 per cent of their total salary. Former MPs who are eligible for a pension but have not reached the age of 55 are entitled to both a severance and pension.   If a member turns 55 years old within six months of being eligible for a pension, a reduced severance cheque is paid to them. Lump sum severance payments range from a low of $78,866 to a high of $116,624 – a figure paid out to defeated Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff and several ministers.

Brian Murphy just missed out on his 6 years for that fantastic pension that you and I can only dream about.

He does however walk away with a lovely 'Parting Gift'..of $ 78,866 to help him make that financially difficult  return to full time practice of law.

Anything  less than that and I'm sure we'd see him at the local food banks and soup kitchens.

Carolyn is actually hiring people for the cleanup through the company she works for and this is her most stressful and busiest week of the year! I have to walk on egg shells this week lol  :D
Dan Lirette - Moncton NB

Useta

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »

Hey notme, just because the liberals got slaughtered,the Bloc Quebecois was decimated, does not mean you have to go hide in shame...life will go on

( mind you it is a good enough reason for it, but we can overlook it because it is just YOU )

Offline irishrick

• Regs
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »

Hey notme, just because the liberals got slaughtered,the Bloc Quebecois was decimated, does not mean you have to go hide in shame...life will go on

( mind you it is a good enough reason for it, but we can overlook it because it is just YOU )

notme is not in hiding... with the conservative majority the cost of paper bags is going up and he wants to make those he has last so he is only going to show up when something important happens now...  OMG we'll never see notme again!!!!

Offline willie c wuddle

• Regs
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2011, 12:52:21 AM »
Notme is still out there. I think he started a new job as a picnic table inspector.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »

actually i hate the thought   of the conservative winning with a majority it will be the end of Canada  as we know but on the same note wow the bloc got killed let rejoice  they are no good for Canada period  they are traitors

BIGOTRY
RACIST

Useta

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »
Some one sent me an e-mail saying that they saw Brian Murphy taking box after box to the curb. Curiosity getting the better of him he moved closer to see was they contained.

Seems they were full of outdated ideas, promised yet unbroken, untruths to tell, palms to grease ,so called government trips ( aka vacations at our expense ), patronage promises and a half eaten crow.

Also seen was some guy with a paper bag over his head grabbing and running off with that half eaten crow.

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »

Citizenship gone if Canadians fight against country’s soldiers, Tory convention to propose

STEVEN CHASE / OTTAWA— Globe and Mail / May. 31, 2011
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/citizenship-gone-if-canadians-fight-against-countrys-soldiers-tory-convention-to-propose/article2040793/

Stephen Harper’s governing Conservative Party will debate whether Canadians should be stripped of their citizenship should they take up arms against this country or its allies.

It’s one of a multitude of proposed changes to the Conservative Party’s official policies up for debate when Tories from across Canada converge in Ottawa for a June 9-11 convention.

The “High Treason” proposal, if adopted, would make it party policy to support automatically voiding the citizenship of Canadians caught fighting soldiers of this country or allied nations.

It would also back trying such a Canadian for “high treason” under the Criminal Code, a charge that carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

In theory, such a policy – had it been enacted in law years ago – might have resulted in Canadian Omar Khadr losing his citizenship after he was caught fighting U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.

As is to be expected from a party that’s been in power for more than five years, a slew of resolutions call for measures the Tories have already committed to enacting. These include scrapping the $2 per-vote political subsidies that currently cost taxpayers $27-million or a tax credit for volunteer firefighters.

Others are motherhood political imperatives that any party would be happy to tackle, such as a resolution calling for “an aggressive regulatory reform process designed to eliminate red tape.”

Two resolutions suggest a refinement of Canada’s foreign takeover policy, a subject where the Conservative government has been remarkably vague after blocking two high-profile bids for Canadian operations by outsiders.

Existing party policy calls for relaxing of foreign ownership rules – in concert with Canada’s major trading partners – in the telecommunications, broadcasting and airline industry.

And some party members are calling for a severe crackdown on prostitution, proposing policy that would “reject the normalization of prostitution and declare that human beings are not objects to be enslaved, bought and sold” and develop measures that “address and prevent the legalization of keeping a common bawdy house, living off the avails of prostitution, and communication for the purpose of prostitution.”

Another resolution calls for a bigger military role in Canada’s North.

Offline Notme

• Regs
  • it hard to be humble
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
yup Harper is fixing it for a takeover and he is afraid of a revolt  by our immigrants since Canadians will just bury their heads in the sand until it over

BIGOTRY
RACIST

Offline Jesso Yewno

• Administrator
  • Moncton Forum
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2011, 10:21:18 PM »

Why can’t our MPs and Senators walk like our children have to ?

Scott Stinson  June 29, 2011,|National Post
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/06/29/scott-stinson-the-federal-department-of-not-having-to-walk-too-far/

My last visit to Parliament Hill was in early June, on the occasion of the federal budget. I had some time to kill, so wandered in search of a shady place to sit and read for a bit. A picnic table near the Confederation Building, just to the west of West Block itself, did the trick.

It was only a couple of minutes until a green shuttle bus arrived, disgorging one passenger and picking up none. The empty bus trundled off. A few minutes later, a couple of people exited the Confederation building, waited a scant moment or two, and were picked up by another near-empty bus. The process repeated over and over.

The parliamentary shuttle bus service has always struck me as taxpayer-funded overkill, but not until I sat there in the same spot for a half-hour or so did it become apparent just how ridiculous the service is. Seated outside a building that I had reached as a result of a leisurely, aimless — and short — stroll, I saw shuttle buses arrive with a regularity that would shame a municipal service and with an efficiency in terms of passengers-per-trip that would drive private carriers out of business. One conclusion was obvious: how much do we pay for all this?

It turns out the government won’t say. But since it was recently disclosed that the cost of extending certain routes by a few blocks required more than $500,000 in extra funds, we can fairly safely assume that the shuttle service, which runs from 7 a.m.  to 11 p.m. when the House of Commons is sitting — and from 7 to 5:15 p.m. even when the House is in recess — costs well into the millions.

Look at the map that accompanies that story. Behold the largesse! It demonstrates quite clearly that MPs and Hill staffers can, if they so choose, avoid walking just about anywhere on official business. At just about any time of day. Even on pleasant spring days. It’s somewhat remarkable that some federal party hasn’t suggested trimming the routes or service as a way to cut costs, especially since the service has survived several rounds of government belt-tightening over the decades.

If this isn’t low-hanging fruit, what is? Maybe that’s the point: no one wants to look cheesy among his colleagues  by arguing for reductions of a service that everyone on the Hill must find more than a little handy.

One hates to sound all schoolmarm-ish, but would it be such a bad thing if people had to, you know, walk a little?

I remain under the impression that walking is good for you. So is saving money. It’s a win-win, really.

Shuttle-bus extension costs taxpayers $500k

Tristin Hopper  Jun 29, 2011

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/29/shuttle-bus-extension-costs-taxpayers-500k/

Since at least the 1980s, Canada’s parliamentarians have used a fleet of green buses to shuttle around an area the size of four city blocks. At average adult walking speeds, even the longest shuttle bus commute takes about 20 minutes by foot.

Parliamentary officials have repeatedly refused to disclose the total cost of the shuttle service. The Senate runs its own separate bus service, despite the Senate chamber being only a few steps from the House of Commons.

“It’s probably a more justifiable expense in the winter, but then again, most of us have to walk to where we go to work,” says Derek Fildebrandt, national research director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

The Senate fleet has only two buses, but between them, they rack up more than 28,000 kilometres a year – almost enough for each bus to complete a yearly roundtrip from St. John’s, NL, to Inuvik, NWT. In 2006, the Senate announced a $1.3-million plan to outfit its fleet with three experimental hydrogen-fuelled buses. Another $1.6-million was spent establishing a nearby hydrogen refueling facility. Two years later, the vehicles were phased out.

It was not the first time the Senate spent millions on a questionable upgrade to its transportation infrastructure. In 1995, workers dug a $3.6-million marble-lined tunnel between the Centre and East blocks of Parliament to spare senators a 90-second walk through the outdoors – or a stroll through a less-luxurious utility tunnel.